How can I support the LGBTQ+ community?
Below we have listed ideas of how you can be an effective and supportive ally to the LGBTQ+ community:
- include your pronouns at the bottom of your emails
- subscribe to the LGBTQ+ Allies mailing list
- attend Bystander Intervention Training to learn how to safely challenge discrimination (search 'Bystander intervention' in HR Organiser)
- use gender-neutral language in your daily communication, such as emails, committee papers, web entries, etc.
- our Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service have also provided guidance for staff supporting LGBTQ+ students within the University, and have provided many resources for LGBTQ+ students.
- support LGBTQ+ events by learning about their history and origins, for example, Trans Awareness Week, LGBTQ+ History Month, Trans Day of Remembrance, Pride, etc.
- queer spaces and events provide a safe environment for LGBTQ+ people to socialise and celebrate their community; as an ally, be mindful of occupying these spaces and remain aware of your behaviour and presence as a guest.
- consume media by LGBTQ+ artists, novelists, scientists, etc.
- if you witness hate crime, report it via Report and Support
If you would like to know more about the work of the allies, please contact the Inclusion Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.