University of Essex departments/schools
University of Essex departments/schools use the External Examiner Nomination Portal
Restricted to University of Essex staff, the External Examiner Nomination Portal is used by departmental staff for nominating an External Examiner, and for making changes to existing appointments. The system is an enhancement of the University's existing personnel management system iTrent, and will record details of External Examiner nominations, course/module allocations and decisions in the nomination approval process.
Nomination Portal: guidance for University of Essex staff
Partner institutions use the External Examiner nomination form (.docx)
Currently, nominations for External Examiners for partner institutions should be made using a nomination form sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to include
All nominations will need to include:
- An up-to-date CV
- Evidence of Right to Work documentation in line with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. The documentation required is dependent on the residence status of the applicant:
- UK and Irish Passport holders are contacted following approval of their nomination with instructions on how to verify their passport via an Identity Document Validation Technologies (IDVT).
- EU Settled or Pre-Settled Status holders should provide a scan of the photo page of their passport or EU ID card, if available. They are contacted following approval of their nomination in order that they may provide a share code for their Right to Work status from the UK government website.
- Visa holders should provide scans of the photo page of their passport and the front/reverse of your Biometric Residency Permit (BRP). They will be contacted later in your application with confirmation of additional documentation required (dependent on visa type) and instructions on progressing with the Right to Work checking process.
- All new External Examiners will be asked to conduct a brief videocall with a member of the Quality and Academic Development team before the start of their appointment in order to finalise the Right to Work checking process. External Examiners should not start work until the check has been conducted and contract issued. Work conducted before the Right to Work check has been completed would be in contravention of UK employment law.
If the External Examiner cannot supply any of the required documentation, please seek advice from us via email@example.com.
It will not be possible to accept or process any new recommendations without this information.