How to apply

Find a course

Applying for accommodation

You can apply for accommodation using our online application process. This is normally available through the myEssex Applicant Portal.

All deadline dates for applications will be published on these pages.

For more information on how we are preparing accommodation for students joining us in October, take a look at the Accommodation and Living on Campus FAQ's.

Applicant advice

Concerned about what the impact of COVID-19 means both for your university application and, for your university experience when you start in the autumn? We are working hard to ensure that you are able to start with us– in whatever way possible.

Find out more

Single gender flats

We want to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible, especially as for most of you it will be the first time you have lived away from home and the people you know. So to help make this a little easier, when you apply for your accommodation you will have the option of selecting a single gender flat. This means that you will share the flat with only students of the same gender. If you opt to live in a single gender flat, you should be aware of the following:

  • You will not be permitted to have visitors of a different gender to your flat
  • You will not be permitted to have overnight guests of a different gender staying in your flat
  • You will not be able to exchange your room, or transfer your tenancy to a student of a different gender
  • Our housekeeping staff (who may be of any gender) will access your flat regularly to clean the communal areas. There will also be times when our staff or staff from other University departments will need to access your bedroom. At least 24 hours notice will normally be given. Please read our Terms and Conditions of Residence for further information

Important: We have a very limited number of single gender flats available, so although we will of course do our very best to accommodate your request, we would not be able to guarantee an offer of this type of accommodation.

Registering to vote

If you’re eligible to vote in UK local and general elections, you’ll need to make sure you’re on the electoral register once you’ve settled into your accommodation, using your new address. Don’t miss your chance to have your say – join the UK electoral register online.

Our policies

Terms and Conditions of Residence

Please read our Terms and Conditions of Residence (.pdf) before accepting any offer of accommodation.

Allocation policy

Our Allocation Policy covers:

  • the criteria for students who want to apply for accommodation
  • details of those students who are guaranteed accommodation and
  • how we will prioritise applications for returning students, part-year students and those on the waiting list



Accommodation Covid-19 Committment

Our Covid-19 commitment

This commitment will provide clarity and guidance on how pandemic related events may affect you and your liability during the period of your contract:


Third Party policy

The third party policy sets out the University's position regarding contact with third parties in connection with students registered at the University.

The University of Essex has a notification under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 (GDPR) to enable it to hold and process data about its students and landlords for the purposes of providing accommodation for its students. Data will be processed in accordance with the provisions of the Act and will only be disclosed within the University to members of staff who need to know it in order to carry out their duties, or to others connected with the University for University-related activities or events.

The University works in partnership with Derwent Living, ULiving, and Kaplan International Partnerships to provide campus accommodation. Information about students in accommodation is shared with Derwent, ULiving, and Kaplan International Partnerships as necessary in order to provide a consistent and efficient service to students.

Communications policy

Policy for Management of Accommodation Rent Debt

student talking to support staff
Contact us

For enquiries about accommodation or about an application you're making, contact us at the Student Services Hub. Quote your full name and PRID or PG number on all correspondence.