External Course and Conference Requests
PGR students can apply to use their Proficio funding for attending courses and conferences held outside the University of Essex. You should discuss any training needs and any courses or conferences you have identified with your supervisor as they will need to co-sign your application.
External training courses
If you have identified an external training course which would be beneficial to the successful completion of your research degree, but a similar course is not available through Proficio at Essex, with the Deputy Dean’s (Postgraduate Research Training) approval, you can use your Proficio funds to pay for the course.
Apply for course funds
To apply for approval to use your Proficio funds to attend a training course not provided through Proficio, please complete an approval form (.docx).
Training course definition
- Will have a tangible outcome such as new skill acquisition.
- Generally will be around a theme and will have longer sessions.
- Akin to courses offered under Proficio at the University of Essex.
PGR students can also use their Proficio funds on conference attendance, subject to the approval of the Deputy Dean (Postgraduate Research Training). Find information and the amount of funds available for conference attendance.
Apply for conference funds
If you would like to attend a conference using Proficio funds, please fill in a conference approval form. (.docx).
- Generally have a broader topic focus.
- Usually comprise of multiple presentations that are short and concise, with the programme often including keynote talks that are longer.
- Larger events where multiple sessions are running at one time (not always the case but this would make an event clearly a conference).
- Students may have the opportunity to present their own research, organise a session or just attend to increase subject awareness.