HS878-6-AU-CO: Learning In Practice 3
Department: Health and Human Sciences
Essex credit: 0
ECTS credit: 0
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Louise Andrews supported by the OT team
Hannah Bodsworth IPL Administrator, email@example.com; tel: 01206 874496
|Module is taught during the following terms
In this third 8-week module, students have the opportunity to experience work with a third client group and to draw upon previous knowledge and experience to manage a small caseload, or take equivalent responsibility, under supervision. Professional judgments will be based upon sound theoretical knowledge, demonstrating the ability to integrate theoretical perspectives from previous learning into practice. Professional suitability and development are assessed using a pro forma.
Learning and Teaching Methods
The student will take an active role in the therapy process and must provide evidence of the ability to implement occupational therapy, which includes philosophy; principles and values.
A case study presentation or negotiated service topic provides an opportunity to demonstrate understanding, analysis and evaluation of client intervention or wider service-related issues.
Teaching skills must be demonstrated by the student whilst on placement. Evaluation of his/her effectiveness in therapy and some reflection on his/her work is required.
Course is PASS/FAIL only - no marks
- Alsop, A. (2000) Continuing Professional Development: A Guide for Therapists Oxford: Blackwell Science
- Alsop, A. and Ryan, S. (2000) Making the most of Fieldwork Education: A Practical Approach, (2nd Ed). Cheltenham: Stanley Thornes
- Creek, J. (2003) Occupational Therapy defined as a Complex Intervention London: College of Occupational Therapists.
- College of Occupational Therapists (2010) Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct for Occupational Therapists London: COT
- Creek, J. (2008) Occupational Therapy & Mental Health (4th Ed) Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone
- Curtin M, Molineux M, Supyk J.. (Eds) (2009) Occupational therapy & Physical Dysfunction; Enabling Occupation (6th Ed) Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone
- Duncan, E (2006) Foundations for Practice in Occupational Therapy (4th Ed) Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone
- Duncan Edward A S (2009) Skills for Practice in Occupational Therapy Churchill Livingstone Elsevier Philadelphia
- Hawkins P and Shohet R (2007) Supervision in the Helping Professions Open University Press
- Higgs, J. and Jones, M. (2008) Clinical Reasoning in the Health Professions (3rd Ed) Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann
- Health Professions Council Standards of Proficiency (2007) downloadable from http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/standards/
- Health Professions Council Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics (2008) downloadable from http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/standards/
- Health Professions Council Guidance on Conduct and Ethics for students (2010) downloadable from http://www.hpc-uk.org/publications/brochures/index.asp?id=219