|Telephone||2663 (non Essex users should add 01206-87 to the beginning of this number)
|Office hours||Friday 14.00-16.00
- PhD in Sociology, Boston University 1976
- MA in History, Warsaw University 1973
- MA in Sociology, Warsaw University 1972
Research designs in progress:
- a comparative historical-sociological study of ground-level multiculturalism in Renaissance Venice, Eighteen-century St. Petersburg, and wilhelmine Berlin
- (Im)Migration/Ethnicity (Policies, Settlement, Adaptation) in the Context of Globalization and in a Historical-Comparative Perspective (Europe and North America, 19th-21st C); Ground-level Multiculturalism Across Time and Space; East European Societies in Transition
- Comparative-Historical Sociology; Classical and Contemporary Social Theory; Qualitative Research Methods
- Classical and Contemporary Social Theory
- Philosophy of the Social Sciences
- Qualitative Research Methods
- International Migration, Ethnicity, and Multiculturalism Across Time and Space
- The Global, the Glocal, and the Local: Sociological Analysis
- A Sociology of Immigration. (Re)Making Multifaceted America, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
- International Migration Research: Constructions, Omissions, and Promises of Interdisciplinarity co-editor (with Michael Bommes) of the volume, Ashgate Press 2005
- Toward Assimilation and Citizenship in Liberal Nation-States.co-editor (with Christian Joppke) of the volume, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003
- Insecure Prosperity: Jews in Small-town Industrial America, 1880 1940, Princeton University Press, 1996
- For Bread With Butter: The Life-Worlds of East Central Europeans in Johnstown, Pennsylvania 1890 1940, Cambridge University Press, 1985; paperback 2003
- "Multicultural Modes of Immigrants' Integration Into the Host Society: Exploring the Proposition," forthcoming in Ethnicities (2016)
- "Promising Directions of Future Migration Research: Three Propositions," forthcoming in the volume New and Promising Themes in Migration Research (2017)
- "Composite Meanings, Flexible Ranges, and Multi-level Conditions of Conviviality," European Journal of Cultural Studies 2014: 357-74
- "Glocalization Effects of Immigrants' Activities on the Host Society," in European Glocalizaton in Global Context. ed. R. Robertson, Palgrave Macmillan 2014, pp.103-28
- "Toward a Reconciliation of the Structuration and Morphogenesis Theories of Social Processes 'Tested' in the Eventful Historical Analysis," Current Perspectives in Social Theory, 2013, vo.13: 221-46
- "Structuring Immigrants' Political Incorporation Into the Receiver Society: Expanded Theoretical Model and Its Empirical Applications," in Outsiders No More? Models of Immigrant Political Incorporation, eds. J. Hochschild et al., Oxford University Press, 2013, pp. 137-61
- "Multiculturalism from Below: Reflections of an Immigrant Ethnographer," in Debating Multiculturalism, eds. P. Kivisto and O. Wahlbeck, Palgrave Macmillan 2013, pp. 48-73
- "Diaspora Diasporas' Imaginations of the Homeland: Exploring the Polymorph," Ethnic and Racial Studies 2011 34 (6): 1029-48
- "Ethnicity as a Primordial-Situational-Constructed Experience: Different Times, Different Places, Different Constellations," Studies in Contemporary Jewry 2011, XXV, 3-25
- “Sociology and History (Im)Migration: Reflections of a Practitioner," in International Migration Research: Constructions, Omissions, and Promises of Interdisciplinarity, eds. Michael Bommes and Ewa Morawska, Ashgate Press 2005, pp. 203-42 .
- “Immigrati di ieri e di oggi in Europa e fuori: insediamento e integrazione” (Turn-of the-twentieth-century and contemporary immigrants in and out of Europe: contexts of (re)settlement and integration), in volume III of Stranieri in Italia. Migrazioni Globali Integrazioni Locali, eds. Tiziana Caponio and Asher Colombo. Bologna: Il Mulino, 2005, pp. 23-88. .
- “Disciplinary Agendas and Analytic Strategies of Research on Immigrant Transnationalism: Challenges of Interdisciplinary Knowledge,” International Migration Review, 2003, 37 (3), pp.611-40.
- “Immigrant Transnationalism and Assimilation: A Variety of Combinations and a Theoretical Model They Suggest,” in Integrating Immigrants in Liberal States, eds. Christian Joppke and Ewa Morawska, Macmillan/Palgrave Press, 2003.
- "Structuring Migration: The Case of Polish Income-Seeking Travelers to the West,” Theory and Society, vol.31, 2001, pp. 47-80.
- "Gappy Immigration Controls, Resourceful Migrants, and Pendel Communities: East-West European Travelers," in Christian Joppke and Virginie Guiraudon, eds. Controling a New Immigration World. London: Routledge, 2001, pp.173-99.
- “International Migration and the Consolidation of Democracy in Post-Communist Eastern Europe,” in Alex Pravda and Jan Zielonka, eds. Democratic Consolidation in Eastern Europe: Domestic and International Factors. Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 163-91.
- "Immigrants, Transnationalism, and Ethnicization: A Comparison of this Great Wave and the Last,” in Gary Gerstle and John Mollenkopf, eds., E Pluribus Unum? Contemporary and Historical Perspectives on Immigrant Political Incorporation. New York: Russell Sage, 2001, pp. 175-212.
- "Intended and Unintended Consequences of Forced Migrations: A Neglected Aspect of East Europe's 20th C History," International Migration Review, v.34, no.4, 2000, pp. 1049-87.
- "An Historical Ethnography in the Making: A (Self-) Reflexive Account," Historical Methods, special issue on the diversity of sociological-historical research, ed. Larry Isaac. Winter 1997, pp. 58-70.
Currently Supervised PhD Students
- Gulzat Botoeva
- Sait Bayrakdar
- Nephat Shumba
-Executive Board member, Research Committee on Historical Sociology, International Sociological Association
-Vice-President, Research Committee on International Migration,International Sociological Association
-Executive Board member, Immigration and Ethnic History Society
-Memebr of the Academic Advisory Board, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity
-Member of the Coalition for the National Museum of the American PeopleMember of international migration research networks of the Institute for Migration and Ethnic Studies, University of Amsterdam; Institute fuer Migrationsforschung und Interkulturelle Studien, University of Osnabrueck; International Migration and Ethnic Relations, Malmo University; Istituto Carlo Cattaneo, University of Trent.