- White Rising: the 1922 insurrection and racial killing in South Africa (Manchester University Press, 2005), 405pp+xvii
- Revolution from Above, Rebellion from Below: the Agrarian Transvaal at the Turn of the Century, (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1993), 261pp+xviii.
- with W. Hund and D. Roediger Wages of Whiteness and Racist Symbolic Capital (LIT Verlag, Berlin, 2010)
- with P. Alexander, R. Halpern and S. Marks, Special Issue on Race and Class in South Africa and the United States, Journal of South African Studies, Vol. 30, No. 1, March 2004,
- with M. Sarakinsky, Special Issue on Agrarian Struggle in South Africa, Africa Perspective, New Series, Vol. 1, Nos 5 & 6, December 1987,
- 'A Chain of Murder in the Slave Trade: A Wider Context of the Zong Massacre', International Review of Social History 57 (2012), pp. 393-415.
- 'Lost Causes of the Rand Revolt', South African Historical Journal, Vol. 63, No. 2, June 2011, pp. 318-338.
- 'Re-thinking Race and Class in South Africa: Some Ways Forward', in W. Hund, J. Krikler, D. Roediger (eds) Wages of Whiteness and Racist Symbolic Capital (LIT Verlag, Berlin, 2010), pp. 133-160.
- 'Voice, Face and the Holocaust', The Holocaust in History and Memory, Vol. 2 (2009), pp. 83-92
- ‘The Zong and the Lord Chief Justice, ’History Workshop Journal, No. 64 (2007), pp. 29-47.
- ‘Constraints upon popular racial killing: a South African case’, Hallische Beiträge Zur Zeitgeschichte, 2006 (1), pp. 7-32
- 'The commandos: the army of white labour in South Africa', Past and Present, vol. 163, no. 3 (1999), pp. 202-44.
- 'The inner mechanics of a South African racial massacre', The Historical Journal, vol. 42, no. 4 (1999), pp. 1051-75.
- 'Women, violence and the Rand Revolt of 1922', Journal of Southern African Studies, vol. 22, no. 3 (1996), pp. 349-72.
- 'Social neurosis and hysterical pre-cognition in South Africa: a case-study and reflections', Journal of Social History, vol. 28, no. 3 (1995), pp. 491-520.
- 'Lessons from America: the writings of David Roediger', Journal of Southern African Studies, vol. 20, no. 4 (1994), pp. 663-9.
- 'The agrarian class structure of the Transvaal Colony', The Societies of Southern Africa in the Twentieth Centuries, vol. 16, (1990), pp. 166-97.
- 'Agrarian class struggle and the South African War', Social History, vol. 14, no. 2 (1989), pp. 151-76.
- 'William Macmillan and the working class', In Africa and Empire: W. M. Macmillan, Historian and Social Critic, eds. H.Macmillan and S.Marks, pp. 35-71, (Aldershot, Temple Smith, 1989).
- 'Reflections on the transition to socialism in South African agriculture', Africa Perspective, New Series Vol. 1, Nos 5 & 6, December 1987.
- 'The Transvaal Agrarian Class Struggle in the South African War', Social Dynamics, Vol. 12 No. 2, December 1986, pp. 1-30.