Introducing… Euan Fraser

Embarking on the journey from school to university is often a maze of uncertainties, especially when it comes to choosing an academic path. For our talented volleyball scholarship athlete Euan Fraser, the road to the University of Essex was a unique one, fuelled not by a clear academic direction but an unwavering passion for the sport that had proven too hard to ignore.

Euan’s story

“Coming out of school I struggled to find an academic subject that I wanted to pursue but one thing that drove me was sport, more specifically, volleyball. I had played for my local team for years and at age 16 was honoured to be selected for the junior national team.”

Aberdeen to Essex

“I rarely got to play however, and by the age of 18 was beginning to doubt my ability to play at a higher level. Leaving school, I made the decision that despite my self-doubts, I couldn’t argue with my passion for sport.  I decided to chase my dream while I still had the opportunity to do so and made the move from Aberdeen, Scotland to Essex to join the University’s performance volleyball programme.”

Coach Porter’s Big Plan

“Immediately after arriving I knew I had made the right decision! The sport facilities were unlike anything I had seen before. Alex Porter and the rest of the performance coaching team created an environment that held every athlete accountable and gave you daily opportunities to improve and work towards your goals. In a week, I would have 3 gym workouts, 8-10 court training sessions and at least 2 games. It’s impossible not to improve in that environment! And I like to think that I did exactly that.

In my first year, I didn’t play a large role on the court, but coach Porter had a reassuring and clear plan for me. We worked closely on the court, almost daily, to develop my skills. By the end of my second year, I was invited to join the senior national team and now have 7 caps for the Scottish National Team.”

Volleyball player jumping in the air in sports arena

Master of Sports and Studies

“Six years ago, that was a distant dream and now, thanks largely to the University of Essex I have managed it all while getting a Master’s degree in Sports Psychology. It wasn’t an easy journey, and it was definitely a challenge to balance the academic workload alongside volleyball, but the performance sport team alongside my lecturers were amazing. They supported me throughout my time to make sure I stayed on top of everything.”

Professional Volleyball, International Representation, and Beyond

“My goals for the future are to play professional volleyball in Europe and continue representing my country on the international stage. Once my athletic career is over, I plan to finish my training as a sport psychologist and support high level athletes that have also followed a similar path to me.”

Embarking on a New Chapter: Euan's Continued Impact on Performance Sport at Essex

As we conclude this chapter of Euan's extraordinary journey at the University of Essex, it might feel like the end, but it marks the beginning of a new and exciting opportunity. Having successfully navigated the challenges of combining undergraduate and postgraduate studies with a stellar sporting career, Euan is set to contribute in a new capacity – as the Performance Sport Development Administrator working alongside the Performance Sport Team here at Essex.

For the past four years, Euan has been a cornerstone of our Essex Rebels teams and performance program. Now, he transitions to a role behind the scenes, offering crucial administration support to our performance sport and sport development departments. His unique perspective as a player within the program is poised to become an invaluable asset in propelling the progression of performance sports at Essex.

It's not just about excelling in academics and sports during your time here – it's about forging a path that extends beyond graduation. The University isn't just a stepping-stone; it's a launchpad for aspirations and a lifelong connection to the world of performance sports.

Find out more about our Performance Sport programme at Essex and follow our student athletes’ journey on Instagram @uniessexperform

Sports scholarships and bursaries

We are committed to supporting and developing high performance athletes. Find out whether you could be eligible for a sports scholarship or bursary, plus a range of additional benefits too when you join the University of Essex.