Late Funding Loans are available to undergraduate and postgraduate students who are eligible and have applied for funding from Student Finance or the NHS, but have not yet received any payments.
We'll help with a loan towards basic living costs. It will not be sufficient to cover rent or tuition fees. If you have dependent children you will receive a higher payment.
These loans are interest-free. Conditions apply and will be discussed when you apply.
If you originally applied to a different university and haven't yet updated Student Finance then this will delay your payment. Please contact the Funding Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with details, including your Student Finance Student Support Number (SSN), and we can update your records.
Your first funding instalment
At the start of your first term at Essex, you'll receive your first instalment of NHS funding or undergraduate Student Finance normally three to five days after Registration or if registered prior to welcome week you should receive the payment as detailed on your payment schedule. This means you may not receive payment until the end of the first teaching week. This is the standard timescale and no Late Funding Loans will be issued when this is the only issue affecting payment. You may still be able to apply for an Emergency Loan from SU Advice. If you registered earlier than welcome week you should receive your payment as detailed in your Student Finance payment schedule.
In order to apply you must meet all of the following conditions:
- you are a registered undergraduate or postgraduate student studying at the University of Essex for academic year 2020-21
- you have been assessed as a Home (UK) fee payer
- you believe you are eligible and have applied for maintenance support from Student Finance or NHS (you will be required to provide evidence that you have done so)
- you have not yet have received any payments from your funding provider
- you are aware of the reason why your funding has been delayed (if you are not aware, you must contact your funding provider before submitting your application)
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
Late Funding Loan – Undergraduate terms and conditions 2021-22 (.pdf)
How to apply
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria above
- Carefully read the guidance notes
- Register for the Blackbullion online money management website
- Click the ‘Funding’ tab and select ‘UoE Late Funding Loan’
- Submit your signed application form and supporting evidence
Note: your application will not be assessed until we receive a full and complete application form, including all evidence necessary to complete an assessment.
Loans are normally made by BACS payments. BACS payments will be made as soon as possible within 5 working days.