The extenuating circumstances form is for all undergraduate, taught postgraduate and pre-sessional students:
You need to apply by the published deadline below. We cannot guarantee that forms submitted after this date will be considered.
It is essential to formally declare any extenuating circumstances before it meets because you cannot subsequently appeal against any decision of the Board of Examiners on the grounds of extenuating circumstances if you could reasonably have been expected to declare them prior to the deadline.
Please ensure that you submit your claim before the relevant deadline shown below, so that your claim can be considered. It is important that you press submit on your claim.
If you are submitting your claim after the deadline – please contact your department to see whether it is too late to be considered.
|Main summer exam period
||Monday 14 June 2021, 12pm
January exams (non-reassessment):
This only applies to the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering and the Department of Psychology. Students taking exams in other departments can submit forms up to the date of the main summer exam period deadline.
|Monday 18 January 2021, 12pm
|January reassessment, coursework and exams
||Monday 18 January 2021, 12pm
|September reassessment period
||Wednesday 15 September 2021, 12pm
Literature, Film and Theatre Studies students
Main summer exam period for the following modules only:
Year 1: LT122-FY, LT131-FY, LT134-FY, LT135-FY, LT161-SP, TH144-SU.
Year 2: LT209-PS, LT226-SU, LT227-PS, LT230-SU, LT231-FY, LT232-FY, LT238-SU, LT240-FY, LT241-FY, LT258-SP, TH205-PS.
Year 3: LT312-FY, LT314-SP, TH206-PS, TH831-FY, TH836-FY.
This later deadline is due to the late teaching and coursework deadlines in these modules.
|Monday 28 June 2021, 12pm
Incoming Study Abroad students
| Exam period
Autumn only incoming students
All other Study Abroad students follow the main undergraduate students' deadline above.
|Monday 18 January 2021, 12pm
East 15 (Loughton and Southend) students
| Summer period
- Monday 21 June 2021, 12pm
- Certificate of Higher Education
- Monday 12 July 2021, 12pm
- BA Acting (Final Year)
- MFA Acting International (Year 2)
- BA Creative Producing (All Years)
- BA Physical Theatre (Year 3)
- Thursday 22 July 2021, 12pm
- BA Acting (Years 1 & 2)
- BA Acting International (All Years)
- BA Acting and Contemporary Theatre (All Years)
- BA Stage and Production Management (All Years)
- BA Acting & Stage Combat (All Years)
- BA Acting & Community Theatre (All Years)
- BA Physical Theatre (Years 1 & 2)
- BA World Performance (All Years)
|Summer reassessment period
||Monday 20 September 2021, 12pm
Edge Hotel School
- October 2019 entry, accelerated courses Level 5 students: 4 January 2021
- October 2019 entry, accelerated courses Level 6 students: 27 August 2021
- October 2019 entry, 3/4 year courses Level 5 students: 14 June 2021
- October 2020 entry, 3/4 year courses Level 4 students: 28 June 2021
- October 2020 entry, accelerated courses Level 4 students: 17 May 2021
Reassessment: within seven days of the published assignment submission deadline.
Health and Social Care
Deadlines for the submission of extenuating circumstances forms have been set based on the date of the Board of Examiners meeting for each course/CPD module.
Please check the ‘Board of Examiners Dates & EC Deadlines’ document on the Health and Social Care Information for Current Students Moodle page for your courses’ extenuating circumstances deadline.
Postgraduate taught and research students
Main summer assessment period (for Interim Exam Board) and dissertation submissions and September reassessment period (for Final Exam Board):
- Deadline: Check with your department
Postgraduate Research students should follow the extenuating circumstances procedures for postgraduate research students. If you are enrolled on the first year of an Integrated PhD course, you should follow the procedure for taught Masters. If you are registered on a Professional Doctorate course and your extenuating circumstances impacted a taught module, you should also follow the taught Masters procedure.