We understand that you may have to self-isolate at short notice and may not have stocked up on food and other essential supplies.
Tesco is offering a dedicated Click+Collect service for self-isolating or quarantining University of Essex students to use.
A Click and Collect van will be located at the University on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This will offer students a chance to receive shopping delivered at the campus for only £1.50.
When ordering a home delivery with Tesco please follow the procedure below:
- Self-isolating/quarantining students can only book a delivery slot for:
Please be aware that there are limited spaces each day so booking in advance is advisable.
- Once you have successfully booked a slot with Tesco you will need to email the Soft Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm the day before the delivery (this will be on a Friday if the delivery is expected on a Monday) detailing the date and time that you have booked, including your address and telephone number.
- Derwent FM or University staff will sign for the shopping on your behalf.
- All substitutes or short date items will be accepted. If you do not want this then please uncheck the substitutes box when ordering on the Tesco website.
- Derwent FM/University staff will then deliver your shopping directly to your flat door in a safe way.
- The staff member will retreat at least 2m from your flat door and phone you.
- You then remove your items from the delivery crate and close your flat door.
All delivery crates are wiped down with virucidal wipes.
All other major UK supermarkets have home delivery services. You will need to register on their websites in advance to arrange a delivery:
You will need to advise them you are self-isolating and please keep your distance when your shopping is dropped off.
Essex Food provides a food delivery service for those self-isolating. Orders can be made through the Essex Essentials website.
We will provide you with a basic food pack free of charge if you are required to quarantine, which contains food, such as rice, tea, pasta etc. We will also provide bedding and kitchen items, if you are a new student arriving to quarantine.
If you’re having difficulty shopping because you’re self-isolating:
If you can, ask friends, family or neighbours who are well to go out and get food and other essentials for you. If you do not have others to help you, there may be community groups who can help in your area or your local shops may be able to provide orders for delivery (by phone or by email). If someone is going to the shops for you, most of the major supermarkets have ways you can pay for your shopping, such as e-vouchers or gift cards. You can buy these online and the person shopping for you can use them in store.
if you have tried the above suggestions but are still unable to access food and groceries please contact the Student Isolation Support team by emailing email@example.com.
Food and takeaway deliveries
There are also a number of different companies that will deliver takeaways to the University campuses and surrounding areas. As well as ordering via their website, they also have apps available to download.
Fusion delivers food to accommodation free of charge (Monday - Sunday 12pm–8.30pm). If you have any questions or would like help using this service, please contact 01206 873258.
Contacting supermarkets if you don’t have a UK phone number
Most UK supermarkets ask for a UK phone number when you set up an online account. Options to consider are:
Ordering a UK SIM card, for example from giffgaff (Giffgaff will send a free UK SIM card anywhere in the world) Signing up for a virtual UK phone number.
All registered items of post are kept in the Post Room. If you are in self-isolation and require your post urgently, please email Accommodation Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a delivery.
For those living in North and South Towers Accommodation, letters and small unregistered parcels will be sent over for porters to deliver to the flats.
If you will be living on Colchester Campus, please ensure you address your COVID-19 test kits to be delivered to our Colchester COVID-19 Test Collection Point using the address below and not your accommodation address. The Test Collection Point is open Monday-Friday, 11am-5pm and is located next to the Post Office on Square 4.
Colchester COVID-19 Test Collection Point
University of Essex