We understand that you may have to self-isolate at short notice and may not have stocked up on food and other essential supplies.
When ordering a home delivery with Tesco please follow the procedure below:
- Self-isolating/quarantining students book a delivery slot on Tesco’s website at the specified times/day, using the first line of your own address and one of three postcodes detailed below (this ensures that shopping is delivered to the correct location):
- If you are a Meadow/Copse Student use postcode: CO4 3ZT. These students will book the slot between 12pm -1pm on Wednesday and deliveries will arrive at the Copse Reception, The Poplars, Capon Road, Colchester from 12pm and be met by Derwent FM staff.
- If you are a Quays Student use postcode: CO2 8GY. These students will book slots between 1pm-2pm on Wednesday and deliveries will arrive at Reception, Matthew Quay House 1, University Quays, Lightship Way, Colchester from 1pm and be met by Derwent FM staff.
- If you are a main Campus Student use postcode: CO4 3SQ. These students will book slots between 2pm-3pm on Wednesday and deliveries will arrive at South Courts Taxi rank, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester from 2pm and will be met by University staff.
Please be aware that there are limited spaces each day so booking in advance is advisable.
- Once you have successfully booked a slot with Tesco you will need to email the Soft Services team at email@example.com detailing the date and time that you have booked including your address and telephone number.
- Derwent FM or University staff will sign for the shopping on your behalf.
- All substitutes or short date items will be accepted. If you do not want this then please uncheck the substitutes box when ordering on the Tesco website.
- Derwent FM/University staff will then deliver your shopping directly to your flat door in a safe way.
- The staff member will retreat at least 2m from your flat door and phone you.
- You then remove your items from the delivery crate and close your flat door.
All delivery crates are wiped down with virucidal wipes.
All other major UK supermarkets have home delivery services. You will need to register on their websites in advance to arrange a delivery:
You will need to advise them you are self-isolating and please keep your distance when your shopping is dropped off.
Essex Food provides a food delivery service for those self-isolating. Orders can be made through the Essex Essentials website.
Essex Essentials has an essentials food box (£52) which is available for order. If you’ve just arrived at University, Essex Essentials also has products, such as bedding and utensils available to order.
If you’re having difficulty shopping because you’re self-isolating:
If you can, ask friends, family or neighbours who are well to go out and get food and other essentials for you. If you do not have others to help you, there may be community groups who can help in your area or your local shops may be able to provide orders for delivery (by phone or by email). If someone is going to the shops for you, most of the major supermarkets have ways you can pay for your shopping, such as e-vouchers or gift cards. You can buy these online and the person shopping for you can use them in store.
Food and takeaway deliveries
There are also a number of different companies that will deliver takeaways to the University campuses and surrounding areas. As well as ordering via their website, they also have apps available to download.
From the 30 September, Fusion will deliver food to accommodation free of charge (Wednesday - Saturday 5pm– 10pm). If you have any questions or would like help using this service, please contact 01206 872437.
Students who are living off campus, can order food from Fusion through Just Eat for delivery.
Contacting supermarkets if you don’t have a UK phone number
Most UK supermarkets ask for a UK phone number when you set up an online account. Options to consider are:
Ordering a UK SIM card, for example from giffgaff (Giffgaff will send a free UK SIM card anywhere in the world) Signing up for a virtual UK phone number.
If you are self-isolating and you’re living on campus, we will arrange to have items received by post delivered to your flat.