Leadership in Health and Social Care
Leadership in contemporary health and social care contexts is challenging. It requires a complex set of skills from managing change and uncertainty, to supporting colleagues. This module is designed for all health or social care professionals currently in practice who are interested in learning more about leadership.
The module creates a space for you to engage in current leadership and followership discourse, critique the inherent anomalies of current theories, models and practice whilst developing an understanding of what contributes to innovative,effective and compassionate leadership within your own field.
You will learn in a dynamic, multi-professional environment on our Colchester Campus as well as engaging independent learning activities online. Through reflection you will explore the relevance of your new knowledge to your current context ensuring that your learning is directly relevant to your professional practice.
The module fits well within our MA Professional Practice pathway or into our MSc Health Care Practice pathway.
After the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of key concepts of leadership by discussing how these have been applied to review, consolidate, extend and apply their knowledge and understanding of leadership in their context.
- Prepare a leadership case study appropriate to their setting, providing a theoretical rationale for the approach taken.
- Communicate effectively to support the leadership and development of services.
What our participants say
"This module helped me analyse my own leadership skills and how effective or ineffective they can be."
"Linked to practice."
"It was good –we had time to debate and bring our own experience."
"It was thought stimulating."
Students should be working in a current health or social care role.
This module is run over three study days or workshops plus half day workshop on the assignment. In addition students participate in online reading and discussions. One to one tutorials are available from the Module Lead for assignment preparation.
Topics covered include:
- Current theories and practice on leadership and followership, –including current NHS and social care models of distributed, transformational, engaged, patient and servant leadership.
- Leading for change in the evolving landscapes of heath and social care.
- Reflective practice in leadership including self-assessment of leadership.
- The role of followers in leadership–team profiling and assessment.
- How leadership is enacted in their professional context–students interview a leader in their organisation.
We understand that deciding where and what to study is a very important decision for you. We’ll make all reasonable efforts to provide you with the courses, services and facilities as described on our website. However, if we need to make material changes, for example due to significant disruption, or in response to COVID-19, we’ll let our applicants and students know as soon as possible.
One 3000 word critical reflective commentary with associated supporting material.
Fees and funding
If you require further details about this module, including future course dates, please email email@example.com.