Visit our CPD page to view our module calendar which indicates all course start dates, application deadlines and more information about how the modules are assessed.
This module is an innovative multi-professional qualification which has been jointly developed by North East Essex Diabetes Specialist Team and the University of Essex. The module forms the basis of diabetes management which promotes individualised proactive care of people with diabetes incorporating prevention of complications and promoting of self-care strategies.
The subjects are specifically aimed to meet the learning needs of those providing clinical services to patients with diabetes in primary care, the community and in the hospital setting. On completion of this module students will have the opportunity to enrol in the Advanced Management of Diabetes initiation or optimisation of insulin and GLP-1 therapies (642/1).
The module is suitable for general practitioners, practice nurses, community nurses, ward nurses, pharmacists and allied health professionals.
The course will provide a range of learning opportunities, offering a mixture of taught sessions, shadow sessions within the specialist clinical areas and self-directed learning. Practitioners will build on current skills and knowledge to improve confidence to enable them to deliver safe, effective healthcare.
At the end of the module you will be able to:
- Recognise and appropriately use diagnostic criteria.
- Demonstrate understanding of national and local demographics of diabetes.
- Apply the principles of self-care and goal setting for a patient with diabetes-related complications using structured education and behaviour change methods.
- Demonstrate an ability to critically appraise the evidence base to make sound judgements regarding treatment and patient management options.
- Confidently and competently support, and effectively treat patients with diabetes utilising, where appropriate, local and specialist services with timely referrals.
- Utilise networks to share knowledge and peer support.