In partnership with the British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign, the University of Essex is proud to be able to offer two (2) GREAT - Scholarships for a Sustainable Future University of Essex 2021-22 for applicants from Egypt and Turkey. There is one scholarship available for each country.
The scholarship is valued at £10,000, which must be used towards the cost of tuition fees for a one-year taught Master's (MA, MSc) degree in any climate change discipline offered at the University of Essex, which are listed below:
- MA International Development
- MA Quantitative International Development
- MA / MSc Environmental Futures and Climate Change
- MA Environment, Society and Culture
- MA Wild Writing: Literature, Landscape and the Environment
- MSD Environmental Biology
- MSD Environmental Science
In addition to the normal criteria for admission to the chosen University of Essex Master’s degree, a GREAT Scholar must be:
- Active in the field with work experience or with a proven interest in the proposed subject area;
- Able to demonstrate their motivation and academically be able to follow and benefit from an Essex postgraduate taught course;
- Willing to embody the UK Higher Education experience, by attending lectures and tutorials and engaging with extra-curricular activities, and act as an ambassador for UK Higher Education, by promoting the value of studying at a UK HEI;
- Willing to act as a spokesperson in the climate change space;
- Willing to establish an engagement with the UK as a scholar, through personal and academic fulfilment;
- Willing to attend COP26 related events in the UK upon invitation from the British Council ;
- Willing to demonstrate future contribution to capacity-building and socio-economic advancement in the climate change space through the benefits achieved after graduating from UK higher education;
- As an alumnus of the UK, be willing occasionally to speak to potential candidates about his or her own experience of studying in the UK.
You can apply if you:
- You must be permanently domiciled in Egypt or Turkey;
- Be classed as an international student for fee purposes;
- Hold an offer (conditional or unconditional) to start a one year full time Master’s degree on the provided subject list starting in October 2021;
- Have a background of extracurricular activities relating to your chosen subject area and a evidenced interest in combatting climate change;
- Only one scholarship award can be made per student and the award cannot normally be held in conjunction with other University of Essex awards.
How to apply
Please complete the application form (.docx) and submit to GREATScholarships2021@essex.ac.uk Friday 30 April 2021. Successful applicants will be contacted on or before Monday 21 June 2021.
To help you prepare, there is further information within the terms and conditions with regards to completing the application form.
Please read the full terms and conditions before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
GREAT - Scholarships for a Sustainable Future - University of Essex 2021-22. (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.