Once you’ve booked your place, we'll send you a confirmation email. No need to print the confirmation email, as we'll have your details at our check-in desks on the day – simple!
We'll send you more information on this a little closer to the time.
What can you expect on the day?
- Talks - general talks and subject tasters will run throughout the day.
- Tours - we are running campus tours and accommodation viewings to showcase our campus and accommodation led by Student Ambassadors. Tours will be available from 10am-3pm and will include a standard en-suite room. Studio Flats will not be available.
- Discover your subject - meet academics from your subject and chat informally.
- Student services will be staffing stands and available to answer your questions on: accommodation, fees and funding, undergraduate and postgraduate applications, careers and employability, as well as student wellbeing and inclusivity.
- Experience student life - we'll have a wide range of activities to show you our vibrant student community and you'll get to meet students and chat with them about their experience. There will also be live music in our SU Lounge.
If you or your guests have any special requirements, please email us in advance so we can make sure your visit goes as smooth as possible. We want to ensure you feel welcomed and comfortable throughout your visit. The University is set across various levels, so please check out our Access Guide for further information or step-free routes on campus. Staff and Student Ambassadors will also be based in all the main areas to assist you on the Open Day. Toilets will be located in all main venues.
Where is the Open Day and how do I get there?
The address of our Southend Campus is:
University of Essex
Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1LW
For SatNav purposes please use SS1 1LW.
There is plenty of city centre parking in public car parks. The closest car park is located underneath University Square student accommodation which accessed via College Way and is payable by phone only.
Blue badge holders with Southend on Sea issued blue badges can park for free. Badge holders with badges issued by other authorities will need to pay the appropriate car park charges, however on street parking bays remain available and free of charge to all badge holders.
There are frequent trains from London to Southend which is served by two different rail lines, with journey times of 45 minutes to one hour:
- Southend Victoria (0.3 miles from our campus) to London Liverpool Street - operated by Abellio Greater Anglia
- Southend Central (0.2 miles from our campus) to London Fenchurch Street - operated by c2c
Both London Liverpool Street and Fenchurch have Underground and bus connections available for connections with Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow Airport.
Bus, Coach or Taxi
- National Express operate services to Southend Bus Station from all over the UK.
- As the campus is located in the city centre, most local buses stop nearby. Buses are run by Arrivabus and tickets can be bought online or via their app. Take advantage of their Student Saver tickets, available to anyone in full-time education.
- There are also a number of local taxi services based in Southend. Below are some of those available:
- 333444 Taxis
- Southend Airport taxi transfer, call 07427 095060
- Steve's Radio Cars, call 01702 559519
If you are a new or current student planning your journey to us, we organise an airport transfer service at the start of autumn term. Transfers are available from Gatwick and Heathrow airports to our Colchester and Southend campuses. More information will be published here closer to October 2022.
To make the most of your day, please arrive by 10.00am. Head to The Forum where our friendly staff will be on hand to register your arrival.
Ask us anything
We want to make sure you have the best Open Day so if you have any questions about your visit or need any information ahead of the day please feel free to contact us.