A lot of things have been happening in the background at Event Essex despite a pandemic and, the recovery of the hospitality industry post-pandemic. In September 2021 Event Essex appointed a new Business Development Manager, Brett Smith.

“I have over 10 years’ experience in managing the delivery of customer service and looking after client contracts. My role is focussed on networking, bringing in new business and nurturing current clients we already have.

I have only been here a few weeks but, in that short time I have visited all our campuses and venue locations, met with internal departments to discuss their future event plans and, have begun increasing our network of clients and business leads. I’m astounded at the facilities we have at the University; from the carbon-zero Essex Business School, Green Flag award-winning Wivenhoe Park grounds, four-star Wivenhoe House Hotel and the outstanding Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall. In addition to the large spaces we have I’m equally impressed at the flexibility of our small to medium spaces that are available. With innovative technology and options to suit all budgets and needs we really have a wealth of choices here at the University of Essex.

Another part of my role includes networking and attending business symposiums. Most recently I attended the Essex County Council’s High Street Business Summit at Hylands House in Chelmsford. Cllr Kevin Bentley and Cllr Lesley Wagland OBE, amongst many other Essex business owners, spoke about Essex County Council’s plans to level up the economy post-pandemic. It was fascinating to hear how businesses on the high street and within the hospitality industry are levelling-up; you can read my blog post on the event here.

Moving forward, I’ve been in touch with Alumni relations to potentially look at an Alumni reunion event. The positive community connection the University of Essex has with its Alumni gave me the inspiration to forge forward with plans to design a networking event with them for Summer 2022. Plus, as well as a whole host of benefits, Alumni also receive a 10% discount on all room hire, conference and delegate packages and accommodation from Event Essex.

For now, my focus is helping the rest of the Event Essex team with Christmas events. I’m very excited for the New Year 2022 and look forward to bringing new energy to Event Essex.”