Sarah Adenaike graduated from Essex in 2010 with LLB Law. Sarah’s volunteered and supported Essex in many ways over the last ten years and we caught up with her to share her Essex story.  

Graduate Sarah Adenaike

“What drew me towards Essex were the reviews from students and alumni, the University’s rankings and it’s great location.  

“My experience at Essex was really interesting. I studied Law and felt a constant battle to choose between studying or socialising, I did find it difficult to balance both at times. My priority was to get a good degree, but I also had fun whenever I got the chance! 

“Throughout my degree I was interested in lots of different areas of law, from European law, to criminal law. I didn’t expect to end up being an expert in Financial Crime though! After graduating, I started my career journey at Thomson Reuters as a Client Service Executive and with consistency and constant development and training, I was able to work my way up to becoming a Vice President in Financial Crime.  No doubt, my journey has been demanding but incredibly rewarding at the same time.”  

After six years in the corporate world, Sarah launched her own company, Vision2Mission.  

“For years I’ve been working on lots of projects to ‘give back’ but this year I decided to officially register Vision2Mission and bring my dream to life. Vision2Mission is a global initiative to help close the gap between further education and real-world experience. We provide our users with access to training, mentors and job boards to help facilitate their journey, transitioning from finishing a degree to entering a professional working environment.  

“The idea was born out of my passion to make a difference to people’s lives and make their journey from university out into the working world that bit easier. Fresh graduates can face challenges when trying to get their dream job, it was something I faced, and I wanted to do something to help those who find themselves in a similar situation.  

“Vision2Mission pushes you to think outside the box, continuously grow and be the best version of yourself through learning and development initiatives. We’ve hosted CEO’s, world-leaders and former-presidents on our platform and I’m so proud that I’m able to offer opportunities like this and know that I’m making a real difference.” 

Sarah’s been busy since she graduated and as well as her roles in the corporate world and her more recent Vision2Mission project, she has also written a book titled ‘Things University Doesn’t Teach You’. 

“I never knew I was capable of writing a book, let alone one that people from all over the world can connect with. This book has put me on platforms that ordinarily would have taken me longer to reach, and for this I’m forever indebted to the people who believe in me and anything that I do.” 

Setting up your own company take confidence and hard work, we asked Sarah for her advice for students or graduates who are interested in setting up a business.  

“My first piece of advice would be to get a pen and paper, write your idea down and draw a road map. The most important thing is ‘why?’ – the purpose of your business must be compelling because when the going gets tough, the why keeps you going. Look for people who have achieved what you are trying to accomplish and try to learn from their mistakes.  

“My second piece of advice is don’t be an island; we all need somebody. Speak to the people you trust and test your idea with them. Be flexible about your methodology as no idea comes fully formed.” 

We are all faced with challenges throughout our lives, Sarah explained some of the challenges she’s experienced throughout her career.  

“When you are good at your job and are passionate about what you do, others can sometimes perceive you to be a threat. Not everybody has the ‘one team, one dream’ spirit and sadly that can create an extremely competitive environment as opposed to a collaborative one which is more beneficial for everyone. In these types of situations, I try to have an open conversation, so all parties feel confident and comfortable in their own skin and the outcome is usually positive.” 

It’s easy to see just how much Sarah’s achieved in the 10 years since she graduated. But what’s her goal for the next 5 years? 

“My ultimate goal is to change the world one person at a time via my Vision2Mission platform; to create a winning community where everyone aims to be better and encourages and supports others with their own journey. For me, giving back is a must. I strongly believe that when we get to the top, we must never forget the people behind us.” 

We’re so proud of Sarah’s achievements and wish her the best of luck with Vision2Mission. To find out more, visit @vision2mission2 on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. 

Remember that as a member of the alumni community you get careers support for life and, if you’re thinking about starting your own business,  Essex Startups, offer advice and support for students and graduates.