There are many benefits from studying through the Languages for All programme.
Language Framework gives you the opportunity to:
- learn a language to a standard you will need if you're looking to study
abroad or take a work placement in a language other than your native
- develop your language skills to an in-depth level in a rigorous academic
- become highly-specialised in your chosen language.
Language Portfolio gives you the opportunity to:
- study a language at your own level and pace but receive support and
guidance from native speakers of the language;
- increase you language skills so that you can deal with a range of
situations when travelling abroad; and
- learn Dutch and Italian, unsupported but at no extra cost, through Tell
Language Express gives you the
- study a language in friendly classes from outside of normal teaching
hours in a less formal setting;
- take up a new language from beginners level in a very focused,
purpose-driven way, concentrating on communicative skills in an academic
- increase your language skills so that you can cope with living, studying
or working abroad for a short time(while English is still the predominant
There's more to learning a language
Learning a language also gives you the competitive edge in the graduate job
market. At a time when companies struggle to find graduates who can speak more
than one language, you can really stand out from other applicants with language
It will help you gain the confidence to work in an international environment.
You will be able to hold a conversation with clients and customers in their own
language, a huge advantage to employers. Customers are also more likely to buy
if they are addressed in their mother tongue.
In today's globalised world, increasing your global and cultural awareness
will help you to understand others better and make better decisions as a result.
But it's not all about learning a language. There are other advanced graduate
skills that you gain by learning a language, including:
- effective and confident communication;
- listening skills;
- the ability to learn;
- empathy and understanding of others
- collaboration; and
- enhanced interpersonal skills.
Broaden your horizons; learn skills to last a lifetime.