50 years
Undergraduate Postgraduate taught Postgraduate research Professional development

Search undergraduate

Search postgraduate
taught courses

Search postgraduate

Search professional
development courses

Click 'Search' to view all professional development courses.

Clearing 2014

[Important data protection stuff]

Select the image that matches the one in the box

icon4 icon1 icon2 icon3 icon4

Upcoming open days

Undergraduate Postgraduate
Colchester Campus
Saturday 20 September 2014 (booking now)
Saturday 25 October 2014 (booking now)
Southend Campus
Saturday 11 October 2014 (booking now)
Colchester Campus
Wednesday 5 November 2014 (booking now)

Personal details

No open days are available for booking yet. You will be able to book your desired open day online three months before the date.

Tour details

Colchester Campus
Southend Campus

Select the image that matches the one in the box

icon3 icon1 icon2 icon3 icon4

Select the image that matches the one in the box

icon3 icon1 icon2 icon3 icon4

myEssex: the student portal

New students

Study support

Study resources

Exams and timetables

Health and wellbeing

Disability and dyslexia

Campus info


Employability and careers

Student experience

Your money

Get information

Contact us

Current international students

News, social events and schemes

There are several events and schemes organised both by Student Support and other internal and external organisations. If you study at our Loughton or Southend Campuses, please contact your campus Student Support for information.

  • International Students' Newsletter

    Summer Edition 2014


    Congratulations! Graduation 2014 takes place at the Colchester Campus from 15 to 18 July. Online bookings close on 12 June 2014.

    If you are returning to the UK to attend your graduation ceremony and need a letter of invitation to apply for a general visitor visa, please complete the online request form.

    If you have invited guests to attend your ceremony who need to apply for a general visitors visa, read our guidance about inviting friends and family, including how you can write a personal letter of invitation. The Home Office provide details about applying for a short stay visa.

    Applying for a Schengen Visa

    If you are not a European Economic Area national and want to travel to Europe, you may need to apply for a visa before you travel. The Schengen Visa scheme allows visitors to obtain one visa to visit a number of designated countries within the European Economic Area (EEA). Twenty five EEA countries now participate in the scheme, the UK is not a Schengen State.

    Working during the summer

    If you have a Student Visitor visa you cannot work at all in the UK, even if it is unpaid.

    If you have a Tier 4 visa make sure you know what the conditions of your visa are before seeking work. Check you are allowed to work and if so, how many hours per week you can work for and what type of work you can do.

    Don’t assume you know what term time means for you, this will depend on your course, for instance most postgraduate students are not on vacation during the summer so must continue to only work term time hours.

    Most EEA students can remain in the UK and work freely during the summer vacation.

    Excess baggage - sending your belongings home

    If you need to send some of your personal items home overseas Tudor International Freight specialise in the transportation of personal effects from the UK to all destinations worldwide. The company is well known to many institutions and they have been providing a reliable service since 1991.

    Moving, who you have to tell

    If you are moving within the UK you will need to let all the relevant utility companies know, as well as your doctor, dentist etc. You must also tell the:

    • University by updating your address on myEssex. If you are moving from University accommodation into private accommodation you will need to update your address after your contract finishes. If you are moving into alternative University accommodation during the summer vacation your record will be updated automatically.
    • Home Office immediately if you have a Tier 4 visa or BRP
    • Police within seven days of moving, if you are registered with them. You do not have to do this if you are leaving the UK and will not be returning.

    Do you have a visa to study in the UK?

    If you have a visa to study in the UK it is important you understand your responsibilities and the conditions of your visa. We also recommend you read our latest news. If you have any questions that are not answered within our immigration pages please contact the relevant advice service.

    Further news

    This newsletter is produced by Student Support, Colchester Campus.

  • HOST Scheme

    HOST is a network of volunteers all over Britain who enjoy meeting international students. HOST families invite students to stay in their homes for a few days over the Christmas and Easter holidays or for a weekend throughout the year.

    HOST gives you experience of living for a few days in a British home in a county or region of interest, and promotes friendship between people from different countries. It is possible to go with another student.

    How much it costs

    HOST charge the University for applications authorised by us, currently £50 per application plus 20% Value Added Tax (VAT). We are pleased to be able to subsidise the application fee by paying the VAT, but regret that can't subsidise the full cost.

    If you include your spouse or partner on your application, there will be an additional charge which the University is not able to subsidise so you will need to pay the full amount.

    HOST are now offering day visits to hosts that are local to the University, the cost is £30 per application plus 20% VAT.

    How to apply

    Once submitted HOST will send us your application for checking and authorisation, we will then email you asking you to arrange to make the payment, £50 per student. If the application is for you and your spouse/partner the total charge will be £84.00 inclusive of VAT.

    Please note that only certain categories of student are eligible to apply, the main category is full-time international students aged 18+ studying for more than three months. If you do not fall within this category please check with HOST for more information on eligibility.

    Fee payment

    Colchester Campus

    Pay your fee at the Income Office, Square 2. You will be issued with a receipt which you should bring to the Student Support Office.

    Southend Campus

    You should make your payment at the Income counter on floor 2 of The Gateway Building. They will then email Student Support in Colchester to advise us that you have paid.

    Loughton Campus

    You should take a cheque for the fee made payable to the 'University of Essex' to the Student Support at Loughton. They will then forward the cheque to Student Support in Colchester.

    Once we have confirmation of payment we will authorise your application accordingly. Please note that no other University department can authorise a HOST visit. Applications will not be processed without the authorisation of Student Support.

  • International Students' House

    International Students’ House (ISH) is an accommodation and entertainment centre in the heart of London, near Regent’s Park. It is open all year and offers comfortable, inexpensive accommodation and a warm friendly atmosphere.

    ISH has a special programme for international students at Christmas time. If you decide to stay at ISH it is best to make your reservation well in advance, as demand is bound to be high, you can even book in October.

  • University of Essex Hospitality Scheme

    Volunteer hosts from the local community will be matched with two new international students and asked to meet them, ideally at least twice during the year. Information will be emailed to your Essex email address when the scheme opens each year. Look out for information in the International Students' Newsletter.

  • Friends International Colchester

    Friends International Colchester (FIC) is a local group representing Christians from churches in the Colchester area. FIC gives you the opportunity to visit an English home, attend a traditional Christmas party, Easter outing or summer event or just practise your English.

  • Rotary International

    Rotary International is a global network of service volunteers. It is the world's largest service organisation for business and professional people.

    Several times a year local Rotary clubs organise social events which you will be invited along to. These events give you an opportunity to meet and talk to local people as well as other international students. Events are usually popular and fill up fast, keep a look out for our emails and book early to avoid disappointment. Emails advertising these events are sent to your Essex email address if you subscribe to the international-students-info email list [login required to access link], or look out for information in the International Students' Newsletter.

Working whilst studying

Many students have to work part-time to supplement their income while they study. If you are struggling financially and you do not work we advise you to look for some part-time employment as soon as possible.

Most EEA/Swiss students are able to work in the UK whilst they are studying. However, if you are from Croatia you will need to apply for and receive a registration card before you start work.

Students from outside the EEA must have immigration permission that allows you to work in the UK.

The hours you will be able to work will be restricted as will the type of employment. You must ensure you never work outside of those restrictions.

Further information