Welcome to the Research and Enterprise Office at the University of Essex. We focus on three main areas: for the University’s research community we provide assistance with research grant applications from the initial idea through to managing the award once it is made. We help to foster mutually beneficial relationships with companies and other external organisations wanting to tap into the University’s expertise. The office also helps promote entrepreneurship and innovation among the University’s students and staff.
We help companies and external organisations to tap into university expertise. This might involve consultancy, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, research collaboration, exploiting intellectual property or support for new and small businesses.
The REO assists our researchers throughout the life cycle of research grants. We help with initial ideas, funding, research governance issues, ethics advice, grant applications and administering grants once awarded. We also co-ordinate research planning.
We encourage students to explore business ideas, develop their entrepreneurial talents, and make the most of their intellectual property. Our services range from dedicated ‘innovation’ spaces and online advice to specially tailored programmes and events.
could help optimise your business - free networking
The University of Essex would like to invite you to a free networking breakfast at firstsite on Thursday 6 June. Stephen Peck from the Port of Felixstowe will be sharing his stories of engaging with our University's Department of Mathematical Sciences on a range of unique business optimisation issues his company faces. Whilst the event is free to attend, registering your place is essential. Book now
After the Budget -
Podcast Now Online!
A podcast of this unique post-budget event which took place on Friday 22 March is now online. It features commentary from differing academic perspectives and considers the implications of Thursday's budget for businesses, for individuals and for party politics.
Workshop with Industry - 18th April 2013
The School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering is pleased to invite you to a workshop with Industry on 18th April 2013. The workshop aims to forget closer links and collaboration between the research and development strategy at the University and the directions and demands of ICT industry and the high tech markets. This year's workshop is themed around "The Digital Economy" in particular, how new business opportunities and technologies are springing up via the 'cloud' and how we are creating a 'Connected World' of content, networks and consumers. Please register by emailing Nick May, PA to the Head of CSEE. An agenda is available here.
County Council are offering £2,000 for businesses towards
Skills for Economic Growth is an Essex County Council programme that provides training grants of up to £2,000 to help Essex businesses to grow. Essex County Council contributes 70% of the training cost and businesses just need to contribute the remaining 30% (plus any VAT that may be due). All training must be started by 31st March 2013 and be completed within two years from the start date. You can pick the course and provider which is right for your business. Training can be certificated (e.g. ILM, CMI, Prince2) or bespoke. Details can be found here.
Cost effective access to new research talent
Businesses and organisations now have the chance to access the freshest thinking for their projects, from research students at the University of Essex . The new service can provide support for a whole range of projects, which can stem from 1-12 weeks and researchers can work up to 18 hours a week on a particular scheme. All the researchers registered for the service already have degrees, whilst many have significant experience in their fields and may be working on cutting-edge research. For more information Email or T: 01206 872925.
Essex Book Festival: Michael Woodford - Inside the
Olympus Scandal (Monday 4 March, 2-4pm)
Michael Woodford MBE is the first CEO in history to turn whistleblower and report on an accounting fraud approaching $2 billion within his own company. Join him on 4 March, 2pm at the University of Essex’s Southend Campus, as he tells the extraordinary story, in his new book Exposure: Inside the Olympus Scandal, of how, as CEO of Olympus, he put his family's lives at risk, when he decided to expose the scandal. Audience members will also be able to purchase a copy of the book and have it signed by Michael himself. For more information, tickets and booking please go here