Benefits of referencing
Avoiding plagiarism is not the only reason for referencing. There are many others.
Benefits of referencing include:
- Receiving credit for your own hard work and research
- Demonstrating your intellectual integrity by conforming to agreed academic standards of good practice
- Receiving meaningful feedback from your tutor that is targeted to the level you are really at (not pretending to be)
- Contextualising your work to show how it relates to current research and debates
- Directing your reader to sources of information and enabling them to 'pick up the thread'