05 March 2009
Students join global campaign to stop violence against women
University of Essex students will mark International Women’s Day with a range of activities as part of Amnesty International’s ‘Stop Violence Against Women Action Week’.
A highlight of the week is Make Some Noise, a live music event in Level Two at the Colchester Campus. This will feature four local rock and indie bands, including one group comprised of Essex students. Starting at 10pm on Wednesday 11 March, student tickets cost £3 and guest tickets are £4 with all profits going to support work by Amnesty International.
Further activities involve panel discussions with speakers from the University and Amnesty International. Topics include ‘Violence Against Women: Theoretical Aspects and Practical Implications’ (with Deirdre Fottrell and Fernne Brennan from the School of Law and Judith Bueno de Mesquito from the Human Rights Centre) and ‘Campaigning from a Different Approach’ (with Heather Harvey from Amnesty International).
These events, organised by the University of Essex Amnesty International Society, run from Monday 9 March to Thursday 12 March. Sylvain Aubry, who is studying LLM International Human Rights Law and is a member of the University of Essex Amnesty International Society, explains: ‘After the success of our celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights last December, we were keen to organise another week of activities on campus, with the support of the Human Rights Centre.
‘This week will be in the context of the Amnesty International campaign ‘Stop Violence Against Women’, which is particularly relevant with International Women’s Day on Tuesday 8 March. These activities, along with strong research and teaching at the University, help to confirm Essex’s leading position within the field of human rights. ’
Amnesty International’s ‘Stop Violence Against Women’ campaign focuses on ending violence against women in the family and in conflict/post conflict situations: two of the most dangerous environments for women globally.
Notes to editors:
For more information on Amnesty International’s ‘Stop Violence Against Women’ campaign, please see: www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=1025
For more information about the University of Essex Amnesty International Society is available at: www.essexstudent.com/society/amnestyinternational/
The University of Essex Amnesty International ‘Stop Violence Against Women Action Week’ includes:
• 8pm on Sunday 8 March, The Vagina Monologues in Sub Zero.
• 5pm on Monday 9 March, ‘Violence Against Women: Reports from the Women’s Refuge’ (Dr June Freeman, Angie O’Toole and Julie Clifford) in the Law Common Room.
• 1pm on Wednesday 11 March, ‘Violence Against Women: Theoretical Aspects and Practical Implications’ (Deirdre Fottrell, Judith Bueno de Mesquita, Fernne Brennan and Samantha Filkins) in Room 5A.325.
• 5pm on Wednesday 11 March, ‘Human Rights in Iran’ (Human Rights Society) in the Law Common Room.
• 10pm on Wednesday 11 March, Make Some Noise in Sub Zero.
• 1pm on Thursday 12 March, ‘Campaigning from a Different Approach’ (The White Ribbon Campaign’ in the Law Common Room.
• 6pm on Thursday 12 March, ‘Campaigning on Violence Against Women’ (Heather Harvey) in the Law Common Room.
For further information please contact the University of Essex Communications Office on telephone: 01206 872807 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
...more news releases