16 May 2011
UK Data Archive offers expertise to local organisations
Local and regional organisations undertaking research or evaluation face the challenge and expense of managing and storing their data in a professional manner -- ethically, securely and sustainably.
To respond to this growing need, the UK Data Archive at the University of Essex is offering custom advice and support to data owners in the public sector, local government, charity and business sectors so they can manage and preserve their research data to the highest standards.
“Looking after data safely is critical,” says Matthew Woollard, the Archive’s director, “but often smaller organisations and businesses don’t have the specialist knowledge or resources to do it well. We can help them assess their own methods and capacity – and provide assistance in those areas for which they don’t have the in-house expertise.”
Data owners are being invited to attend a free event on Wednesday 6 July at 17.00 to discuss their needs directly with Archive experts and learn more about the Archive’s consultancy, training and data preservation services.
Speakers include Matthew Woollard, director, and Louise Corti, head of the Archive’s research data management strategies, along with clients who are currently using the Archive’s services.
The event is part of the University of Essex’s knowledge transfer strategy and supported by the University’s Research and Enterprise Office.
The event is free, but registration is required.
ABOUT THE UK DATA ARCHIVE
The Archive has a unique combination of strengths in the areas of data management and preservation:
- over 45 years experience managing and providing access to digital research data
- provides access to the UK's largest collection of social and economic data
- since 2005 has been designated a Place of Deposit by the National Archives
- long standing preservation and management of survey data, historical databases and qualitative data
- based at the University of Essex, with in-house access to robust technical infrastructure and expertise as well as world-class research
SERVICES OFFERED BY THE ARCHIVE
- advice on storage and preservation solutions for a wide range of digital formats: survey data, text and time-based media
- risk assessment of data plus advice on future-proofing your data and setting up secure data storage
- advice and training in data management practices, including data description and metadata
- migration of data to usable formats
- storage and preservation services - safeguarding data for you under the highest information security standards
- where appropriate, accession of your data into our collection for preservation and access
...more news releases