BS912-7-SP: EXERCISE IN PREVENTION AND REHABILITATION OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
Department: Biological Sciences (School of)
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to year(s) of study:
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
|Module is taught during the following terms
The Exercise in the Prevention and Rehabilitation of Cardiovascular Disease Module will focus on current issues in the prescription of physical activity for the cardiac patients. You will be introduced to the different CHD processes and then will look at how to create an effective programme of rehabilitation for these individuals. The module will also investigate the potential role of exercise in prevention of cardiovascular disease as well as the risks associated with physical activity for healthy and clinical populations.
To pass this module students will need to be able to:
1. show an understanding of normal ageing processes and the development of diseases in the human cardiovascular system;
2. describe the basic principles of exercise training in healthy persons and cardiovascular disease patients;
3. discuss the physiological effects of exercise on healthy subjects, and cardiovascular disease patients;
4. describe how scientific evidence informs practice in cardiovascular prevention and rehabilitation;
5. show an understanding of the risks associated with physical activity for healthy subjects and cardiovascular disease patients.
Learning & Teaching Methods
10 three hour lectures/seminars
100 per cent Coursework Mark
Continuous assessment provides all marks for this module. There are two assignments to be completed.
Coursework (50%): Design a Cardiac Rehabilitation programme for a National Health Service provider
Exam Duration and Period
Practical Examination (50%): Design, plan, implement and reflect on an exercise session for phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation patients. (to be carried out under observation at the phoenix club, University of Essex) This practical examination will be carried out between weeks 16 and 24 depending on student numbers and also comprises a 1000 word reflective statement to be handed in by week 25.
Further assignment details will be given out in lectures.
Timetable of submission dates for assessment appear in the section "Timetable of Deadlines and Important Dates" in the Course Handbook.
- ACSM. (1997). ACSMs Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Disease and Disabilities. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
AACVPR (2004). Guidelines for Cardiac Rehabilitation and Secondary Prevention Programs - 4th Edition. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
BACR (2002). The BACR Phase IV Training Module. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
Fardy, P.S. & Yanowitz, F.G. (1995). Cardiac Rehabilitation, Adult Fitness, and Exercise Testing (3rd Edition). Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.
Houston Miller & Taylor (1995). Lifestyle Management for Patients with Coronary Heart Disease. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
Leon (Ed) (1997). Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Health - A National Consensus. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
Van Norman. (1995). Exercise programming for older adults. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
Further specifc reading to each topic will be given during lectures