Module Details

BE413-5-SP-CO: International Business Environment

Year: 2016/17
Department: Essex Business School
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: Yes
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: Yes
Pre-requisites: BE400 OR IA152
Co-requisites:

Staff
Supervisor: Martin Harris
Teaching Staff: Martin Harris and Jane Khayesi
Contact details: ebsugcol@essex.ac.uk

Module is taught during the following terms
Autumn Spring Summer

Module Description

This module builds upon a basic understanding of management, and in particular of environmental influences on the way in which organizations function and are managed. It provides a more advanced understanding of the international context which helps to shape the strategies and operations of organizations, and explores some of the current issues and challenges facing organizations within the international business environment. In particular, the module focuses on international political economy, covering the major economic systems in the world, and tracing the historical evolution of the global order. It also explores the implications of globalisation for the various functional dimensions of the organization.

Module Aims

1. To provide an understanding of the international business environment.

2. Through discussion and debate, to develop reasoning skills applicable to the analysis of the international business environment and the current issues and challenges facing organizations operating within it.



Module Outcomes

1. After completing this module students will be able to understand the historical evolution of the international business environment.

2. After completing this module students will be able to understand the political, economic, socio-cultural and technological dimensions that shape the international business environment.

3. After completing this module students will be able to understand a range of contemporary issues and challenges facing organizations operating within the international business environment.

Learning and Teaching Methods

10 x 1 hour lectures that focus on the concepts, issues and theories related to the international business environment. This formal lecture each week will present an overview of each topic and provide the stimulus for your further investigation of the subject area. It is essential you appreciate that the lectures are only designed to provide you with a starting point for your studies. Your lecture notes alone are unlikely to be of sufficient scope to enable you to pass the module successfully.

9 x 1 hour classes that enable you to engage actively with your reading through case study analysis, close reading of theoretical and empirical research-based texts, in-class discussion, group work and student presentations. Classes are NOT another lecture. Whilst they involve structured activities, they are intended to be student-led. It is therefore imperative that you prepare thoroughly before the class through reading, taking notes and preparing responses to questions. Free riding on your fellow students' work will not be tolerated in the classes.

Classes are weekly. Attendance is compulsory and will be monitored.


Assessment

100 per cent Coursework Mark

Coursework

Assessment on BE413 is based on 100% coursework and consists of two essay assignments. Assignment one comprises 30% of the overall mark Assignment two makes up the remaining 70% of the mark. The word limit for the first essay is 2000 words and for the second 2500 words

Further information