LW602-7-AP-CO: International Sales Contracts And Carriage Of Goods
Note: This module is inactive. Visit the Module Directory to view modules and variants offered during the current academic year.
Department: Law (School of)
Essex credit: 30
ECTS credit: 15
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: Yes
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Dr Anna Antoniou (SP Term), Dr Gbenga Bamodu (AU Term)
Dr Anna Antoniou (Spring) Dr Gbenga Bamodu (Autumn)
University of Essex, School of Law; Telephone: 01206 872892 or 873535; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
|Module is taught during the following terms
The world of international trade involves a variety of transactions but at its core will concern the sale and transportation of goods. In the first term therefore, focus is on the sale contract, particularly the trading concepts of c.i.f. and f.o.b. and the seller and buyer obligations under the sale. In the second term, focus turns to the carriage contract, particularly charter-parties and bills of lading where the connection between the sale and carriage transactions is emphasised. Many traders choose English law to govern their contracts with disputes being resolved through London arbitration or litigation so the module makes particular reference to UK Law but is also very much international in scope.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Weekly two-hour seminars
100 per cent Coursework Mark
5000 word essay (including footnotes, excluding bibliography) in each term, to be submitted in accordance with LLM Guidelines.
- Murray, C. Schmitthoff: The Law and Practice of International Trade
- Wilson, J. Carriage of Goods by Sea
- Specialist Books:
- Bridge, M. Benjamin's Sale of Goods and supplements.
- Bridge, M. The International Sale of Goods
- Lorenzon, F. Sassoon: CIF and FOB Contracts
- Debattista, C. Bills of Lading in Export Trade
- Atiyah, P.S. Atiyah's Sale of Goods
- Eder, B. Scrutton on Charterparties and Bills of Lading
- Treitel, G. Carver on Bills of Lading
- Cooke, J. Voyage Charters
- Wilford, M. Time Charters
External Examiner Information
- Name: Dr Ebeneezer Adodo
Institution: The University of Leicester
Academic Role: Associate Professor of Commercial Law