IA658-7-SP-CO: Teaching Practice Ii
Department: Essex Pathways
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Comments: Open to MA TEFL only.
Dr Nilufer Demirkan-Jones
Dr Nilufer Demirkan-Jones, Judith Holverson, Dr Ritta Husted, Janet Smith
|Module is taught during the following terms
This is a practice-based module and consists of teaching, and observation of teaching. The teaching consists of planning, teaching, and evaluating your lessons. The observation consists of guided observation of your peers.
You are likely to be teaching adult students of mixed language background. However, if the group is large, it is possible that the teaching will be carried out as peer teaching.
By the end of the module participants should be more aware of how to:
* Select and adapt teaching materials
* Plan lessons
* Select and prepare teaching aids
* Manage a group of adult learners
* Highlight aspects of language form and meaning for learners
* Provide opportunities for learners to develop their speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills
* Evaluate activities and lessons
* Relate observations and reflections to the pedagogical literature
Learning and Teaching Methods
You will be in a group of 5 or 6 people and will attend one three-hour meeting each week, consisting of observation and participation in lesson planning and preparation (every week), teaching (probably every second week), group discussion of the day's lessons, and consultation about lesson planning for future lessons. It is vital that you attend ALL sessions.
100% coursework assessment. The assessment will have two components: Assignment one: Teaching practice (planning, teaching, evaluation) 40% Assignment two: A guided written reflection on the experience of teaching practice 60%, both your own teaching and the teaching of the other members of your teaching team.
100 per cent Coursework Mark
Teaching practice (60%)
Reflective practice (40%) - 1,000 word report to be submitted in week 25.
MA in TEFL only.
- Bowen T & Marks J (1994) Inside teaching: Options for English Language Teachers. Oxford: Heinemann
- Crookes G (2003) A Practicum in TESOL: Professional Development through Teaching Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Gower R et al (1995) (2nd ed.) Teaching Practice Handbook. Oxford: Macmillan
- Harmer, J. (1998) How To Teach English. Harlow: Longman
- Harmer J (2001) (3rd ed.) The Practice of English Language Teaching. Harlow: Longman
- Kenworthy, J. (1987) Teaching English Pronunciation. London: Longman
- Nunan, D. 1995. Language Teaching Methodology: a textbook for teachers. NY: Phoenix ELT.
- Scrivener J (1994) Learning Teaching: A Guidebook for English Language Teachers. Oxford: Heinemann
- Thornbury S (1999) How to Teach Grammar. London: Longman
- Thornbury S (2001) Uncovering Grammar. Oxford: Heinemann
- Thornbury, S. (2002) How to Teach Vocabulary. Harlow: Longman.
- Ur, P. 1996. A Course in Language Teaching: practice and theory. Cambridge: CUP.
- Ur, P. 1988. Grammar Practice Activities: a practical guide for teachers. Cambridge: CUP.
- Woodward T (2001) Planning Lessons and Courses: Designing Sequences of Work for the Language Classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
External Examiner Information
- Name: Mr Mark Almond
Institution: Canterbury Christ Church University
Academic Role: Senior Lecturer