HS922-7-SP-CO: Health Promotion
Department: Health and Human Sciences
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Melanie Wiltshire, Graduate Administrator, Tel 01206 873375, e-mail email@example.com
|Module is taught during the following terms
This module critically examines contemporary models and strategies for enhancing the design, planning, implementation and evaluation of health promotion. It combines theory and evidence to develop transferrable skills that support a range of approaches to improving conditions for health. The module covers the following themes:
* Principles of health promotion
* Models and frameworks for promoting health
* Strategies and levels of action for putting health promotion into practice
At the end of the module you are expected to be able to:
* Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the determinants of health and the factors that influence health related behaviours
* Critically examine a range of theoretical approaches to the planning, implementation, and evaluation of effective health promotion strategies.
Learning and Teaching Methods
The module uses lectures and case studies to support the development of advanced and applied understanding of health promotion. Independent study develops an evidence based advocacy project, and individual or small group tutorials may be scheduled to support the development of formative tasks. Further resources and guidance are available through Moodle.
100 per cent Coursework Mark
3,000 word position statement
Please note that if insufficient numbers of students (i.e. <10) opt to take this module we may have to cancel it at short notice. If this is the case we will of course notify anyone who has applied to take this course in a particular term as soon as possible and offer an opportunity to discuss alternative options.
- Recommended reading prior to starting the module:
- Ewles, L., & Simnett, I. (2003). Promoting Health: A Practical Guide. 5th Edition. Toronto: Elsevier/ Bailliere Tindall.
- Naidoo J and Wills (2005) Public health and health promotion: developing practice 2/e. Bailliere Tindall
- Naidoo, J and Wills J (2000) Health promotion: foundations for practice 2/e Bailliere Tindall.
- Tones K and Green J (2010) Health promotion: Planning and strategies 2/e. Sage
- Wills J (2007) Promoting health. Blackwell.