HS886-7-PS-CO: Leadership And Preparation
Department: Health and Human Sciences
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Cathy Constable and Anne Corrin
Cathy Constable and Anne Corrin
Cathy Constable (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Anne Corrin (email@example.com)
|Module is taught during the following terms
This module facilitates development of knowledge and skills pertinent to the management of health care with a group of patients/clients. Patients/clients are recognized as unique individuals, with multiple needs who are legitimate users of health and social care provision. These needs are established by individualized and collaborative assessment; and met by the negotiation of client focussed packages of care. The delivery of effective healthcare to meet these needs is dependent upon sound management principles.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Keynote lectures, seminars, individual tutorials and group tutorials and outside experts.
100 per cent Coursework Mark
- Sullivan E J Decker P J (2009) Effective Leadership and Management in Nursing (7th ed) New Jersey: Prentice Hall
- Cherry B Jacob SR (2008) Contemporary nursing: issues, trends, & management (4th ed) St. Louis: Mosby
- Chitty K K Perry Black, B (2011) Professional nursing: Concepts and challenges
- Saunders Elsevier :Maryland
- Grohar-Murray ME DiCroce HR (2011) Leadership and management in nursing (4th ed) Upper Saddle River N J: Prentice Hall
- Ledema R (ed) The discourse of hospital communication: Tracing complexities in contemporary health care organisations Basingstoke: Palgrave
- McNulty T and Ferlie E (2002) Reengineering health care: the complexities of organizational transformation Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Menzies - Lyth I E P 1959 The functioning of social systems as a defence against anxiety. In Containing Anxiety in Institutions, Selected Essays Volume 1 Free Association Books:London 1988 pp 43-85
- Mullins L J (2008) Essentials of Organisational Behaviour ( 2nd ed) Upper Saddle River NJ: Prentice Hall
- Norman I Ryrie I (2009) The Art and Science of Mental Health Nursing: A textbook of principles and practice (2nd ed) Open University Press:Berkshire
- Schon D A (1991) The reflective practitioner - how professionals think in action UK :Ashgate
- Senge P (2006) The fifth discipline: the art and practice of the learning organization London: Random house.
- Evidence-Based Mental Health / Electronic Resource
- Health & Social Care in the Community
- Health Service Journal - www.hsj.co.uk
- International Journal of Health Services
- International Journal of Mental Health Nursing
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- Journal of Nursing Management
- Journal of Quality in Clinical Practice
- Useful websites:
- The student may find reference to the following sites useful - however the student should recognise that this list is not exhaustive and in all instances the student should evaluate the quality of any information retrieved.
- Royal College of Nursing (2012) Principles of Nursing Practice
- Compassion in Practice documentation: http://www.commissioningboard.nhs.uk/nursingvision/
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Final Report Of The Independent Inquiry Into Care Provided By Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust
- Department of Health - Information on the NHS constitution
- NHS Leadership Framework
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine provides useful links and tool kits.
- The Cochrane Library is an electronic publication designed to supply high quality evidence to inform people providing and receiving care, and those responsible for research, teaching, funding and administration at all levels.
- The National Institute for Clinical Excellence works on behalf of the National Health Service and the people who use it. They make recommendations on treatments and care using the best available evidence.
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement
- Clinical Evidence is freely available to NHS staff, clients and the public in England through the National electronic Library for Health. It provides a regularly updated guide to evidence on the effectiveness of care.
- British Medical Journal on-line. This site has back copies of the BMJ for the past five years. It has an impressive search engine attached and is up-to-date with the current issues of BMJ on line from the publication date. (At the moment there is free access to this resource so use it whilst it's there!)
- MEDLINE (with links to participating on-line journals), and other related databases. If you want to know whether there has been health-related research into a topic this site is always well worth checking out. It can provide referenced abstracts. Full versions of documents cited may be ordered direct (for a fee).
- This site of the World Health Organization contains press releases, statistics and links to other useful international web sites.
- NHS Choices - interesting timeline of the NHS ( up till 2010)
External Examiner Information
- Name: Ms Catherine Vassar
Institution: University of Derby
Academic Role: Senior Lecturer in Nursing