HS861-7-SP-CO: Applied Biosciences
Note: This module is inactive. Visit the Module Directory to view modules and variants offered during the current academic year.
Department: Health and Human Sciences
Essex credit: 15
ECTS credit: 7.5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Mrs Sherrie Green
|Module is taught during the following terms
To enable the student to develop a thorough understanding of the human anatomy, together with the physiology of healthy and diseased organs. To be able to understand how this relates to assessment and diagnosis of diseases and their treatment.
Cardiovascular system, Neurological system, Renal system, Respiratory system, Endocrine system, Reproductive system, Skeletal system, Child development, Pharmacology. Fetal development including birth, Assessment and Management of Pain
- Critically examine in detail the body systems' anatomy and physiology to a specific disease
- Critically examine how assessment and accurate diagnosis can improve the patient experience and prognosis.
- Identify when a patient in your care requires a referral due to altered signs and symptoms, this can be to a nurse specialist, doctor or dietician for example.
- Critically analyse the effect of disease on the bio-psychosocial functioning of a patient
Learning and Teaching Methods
Experiential learning in practice based placements with experienced practitioners
Tutorials with module leader and personal tutor regarding academic progress
100 per cent Coursework Mark
3 hour examination - 100%
- Clancy, J. (2010) Physiology & anatomy for Nurses and Healthcare Practitioners: A homeostatic approach. Hodder Arnold: London
- Cox, C.L. (ed) (2004) Physical assessments for Nurses. Blackwell: Oxford:
- Marieb, E.N. (2010) Human anatomy & physiology. Cummings: San Francisco
- McCance, K.L and Heuther, S.E (2010) Patho-physiology: the biologic basis for disease in adults and children (6th Ed), Elsevier Mosby: St Louis
- Montague, S. Watson, R. Herbert, R. (eds) (2005) Physiology for Nursing Practice (3rd ed). Elsevier: London.
- Tortora, G.J. (2010) Essentials of anatomy & physiology. Wiley: New Jersey
- British Journal of Cardiac Nursing
- British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing
- British Journal of Nursing
- BMC Nursing
- Cancer Nursing Practice
- Journal of Anatomy & Physiology
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- International Journal of Urological Nursing