BE862-7-SP-CO: Industry Expert Lectures In Finance
Note: This module is inactive. Visit the Module Directory to view modules and variants offered during the current academic year.
Department: Essex Business School
Essex credit: 10
ECTS credit: 5
Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students: No
Full Year Module Available to Study Abroad / Exchange Students for a Single Term: No
Outside Option: No
Dr Nick Constantinou
|Module is taught during the following terms
The module is taught exclusively by leading industry experts. This module will give students a unique opportunity to appreciate the latest developments and issues faced by leading practitioners in the areas of quantitative finance and risk management. The contents of the lectures are detailed and rigorous; some lectures may require hands on laboratory sessions.
On completion students will have a rounded knowledge and appreciation of the current issues facing the international finance industry.
This module is designed to allow students to:
1) appreciate the current issues faced by the international finance industry post the credit crisis both for trading and risk management;
2) appreciate the new regulatory environment;
3) appreciate the role of an appropriate risk culture within international finance institutions.
On completion of this module students should be able to:
1) understand and be able to appreciate the complex issues faced by international financial markets across a range of industries from multinational banks to hedgefunds;
2) understand and critically evaluate the relationship between trading and risk management and the importance of a strong risk culture post the credit crisis;
3) understand and critically evaluate the new international regulatory environment post the credit crisis.
The module consists of ten three hour sessions spread over five weeks that are delivered in the Spring Term.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lectures and computer laboratory sessions.
100 per cent Coursework Mark
100% coursework, split as follows:
30% Five executive summaries of each of the lectures (500 word max)
70% One assignment on a topic related to the lectures (3600 words).
Suggested titles will be provided by the lecturers.
ELECTIVE/OPTIONAL module. This module will be taught over one full day per week, during a 5-week teaching block (Weeks 16-20).
- READING LIST
- List provided by individual lecturers together with topics that may be found in:
- Hull, J. 2012, Options, Futures and Other Derivatives, 8th Edition, Pearson.
- Hull, J. 2012, Risk Management and Financial Institutions, 3rd Edition, Wiley Finance.