|Position in department||Professor in Statistics.
In 2009 I joined the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Essex. Since September 2009 I contribute to the ESRC Business and Local Government Data Research Centre and support as medical statistician the NIHR Research Design Service for the East of England. I am a member of the Institute for Analytics and Data Science (IADS) and the Essex Biomedical Sciences Institute (EBSI). I retain to be an external member of the Medical School, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
Since 1987 I was affiliated to the Department of Medical Biometry and Statistics at the University of Freiburg, Department of Statistics at the University of Dortmund, Research Institute of Child Nutrition in Dortmund, Department of Medical Statistics and Evaluation at Imperial College London, Department of Biometry and Epidemiology at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
Memberships in scientific societies: British Classification Society (BCS); Gesellschaft für Klassifikation e.V. (GfKl); International Biometric Society (IBS); Royal Statistical Society (RSS). Current responsibilities and activities: president of the Gesellschaft für Klassifikation e.V. (GfKl), member of the committee of the British Classification Society (BCS) and member of the council of the International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS). I am a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Classification and Methods of Information in Medicine.
- Diplom-Statistiker, Department of Statistics, University of Dortmund in 1987;
- Dr. rer. nat. (PhD), Department of Statistics, University of Dortmund in 1990;
- Privatdozent (habilitation) in biometry and epidemiology, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg in 2003;
- Professor (adjunct), Department of Biometry and Epidemiology, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg in 2010.
- Professor of Statistics, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Essex in 2012.
- Ensemble methods for supervised learning (classification)
- Nonparametric methods (based on maximally selected statistics)
- Pilot/feasibility study "Modified Pilates as an adjunct treatment for Urinary Incontinence", RfPB NIHR funding (2012-15); collaboration with Samantha Head (PI), Physiotherapy Department, Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust (CHUFT), Faith Gage (CHUFT), Prof Joanna Jackson (HHS) and Dr Louise Marsland (HHS).
- Meta-analysis methods for gene expression profiles (collaboration with Prof Roland Croner, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- Improving the validity for molecular signatures of cancer progression by gene expression (collaboration with Dr Andrew Harrison and Prof Graham Upton, DMS, University of Essex)
- Tumour protein expression and protein interaction networks as determinants of malignancy (collaboration with Dr Metodi Metodiev, Proteomics Unit, DBS, University of Essex, and Prof Roland Croner, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- Identification of new markers and drug target candidates for triple negative breast cancer (PI: Dr Metodi Metodiev, Proteomics Unit, DBS, University of Essex, NIH/NCI grant 01/2011-12/2012).
- Sensitive polyprobe approach for improved prediction of therapy response and assessment of prognosis in colorectal cancer (BMBF grant, PI Prof Werner Hohenberger, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- Evaluation of adjuvant vaccination with tumor RNA-loaded autologous dendrític cells versus observation of patients with resected monosomy 3 uveal melanoma (PI Prof Gerold Schuler, Medical School, University Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- Reducing the incidence of cardiac events: the use of natural green space to modify psycho-physiological responses associated with workplace stress (BHF grant, PI Dr Valerie Gladwell, DBS, University of Essex)
Current research students in statistics
- clinical research
- computational statistics
- data analysis
- data science
- public health
- systems biology
MA317-6-AU Modelling Experimental Data
MA317-7-AU Modelling Experimental Data
MA321-6-SP Applied Statistics
MA321-7-SP Applied Statistics
MA325-7-AU Data, Probability and Statistics
|Publications||Link to publications for Berthold Lausen
In 2013 chair of of the Scientific Program Committee of the European Conference on Data Analysis a joint meeting of the German Classification Society (GfKl) and the French speaking Classification Society (SFC) in Luxembourg 10-12 July, 2013.
Organizer of a session on "Clustering" at the DAGStat2013, meeting of the Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft Statistik (DAGStat), 18-23 March 2013, University of Freiburg, Germany.
In 2012 organizer of an invited session on "Ensemble methods in clustering and classification" at the GfKl 2012 (The 36th Annual Conference of the German Classification Society on Data Analysis, Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery), August 1-3, 2012, University of Hildesheim, Germany.
Organizer of a meeting of the British classifiaction society Friday 18 May 2012, 14:00-17:30, Hosted by Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Essex (UoE), Colchester.
In 2011 Chair of the Scientific Program Committee (GfKl 2011 and IFCS 2011) of the joint meeting of the German Association for Pattern Recognition (DAGM) and the German Classification Society (GfKl) with the international partner International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS) in Frankfurt, Germany, 30 August - 2 September 2011.
Member of the Scientific Program Committee of the ICC-2011 University of St Andrews 11-15 July 2011.
Second Bilateral German-Polish Symposium on Data Analysis and its Applications (GPSDAA 2011) at the Cracow University of Economics, Poland, 14 - 16 April 2011.
In 2010 member of the Scientific Program Committee of the Joint meeting GfKl – Cladag, Firenze, Italy, 8-10 September 2010.
Session organizer at the 34th Annual Conference of the Gesellschaft für Klassifikation (GfKl), Karlsruhe, Germany, 21 -23 July 2010.
Co-organizer of Statistical Computing 2010, Wissenschaftszentrum Schloss Reisensburg, Günzburg, Germany, 20.06.-23.06.2010.
In 2009 co-organizer of Statistical Computing 2009, Wissenschaftszentrum Schloss Reisensburg, Günzburg, Germany, 28.06.-01.07.2009.
Organizer of the invited session on ''Modelling genome wide data in clinical research'' and the session ''Applications of Clustering, Classification and Data Analysis in Medical and Health Sciences'' at the 11th Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS 2009), 13-18 March 2009 in Dresden, Germany.