|Staff position||Senior Lecturer [RC]
|E-mail||rclift (non Essex users should add @essex.ac.uk)
|Telephone||2204 (non Essex users should add 01206-87 to the beginning of this number)
|Office hours||11-12 Tuesday
She studied English literature as an undergraduate at Durham and went on to do a PhD on misunderstandings in conversation at Cambridge. She taught both at the University of Cambridge and at the University of East Anglia before coming to Essex. Her research interests are in Conversation Analysis. She has published work on the relationship between grammar and interaction, evidentiality, knowledge claims in interaction and reported speech. She is the co-editor, with Elizabeth Holt, of ‘Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction’ (Cambridge University Press, 2007).
BA Durham, MPhil/PhD Cambridge.
- Laughter in non-serious reported speech
- Embodiment in interaction
- Non-restrictive relative clauses in interaction
- Conversation Analysis with particular interests in:
- Grammar & Interaction
- Territories of Knowledge
- Reported Speech
- Laughter in interaction
- Embodiment in interaction
LG102-4-FY - Foundations of Sociolinguistics (weeks 21-25)
LG483-6-SP - Pragmatics: Discourse & Rhetoric
LG483-7-SP - Pragmatics: Discourse & Rhetoric
LG484-6-SP- Conversation & Social Interaction
LG484-7-SP - Conversation & Social Interaction
- Clift, R. (to appear, 2013) No laughing matter: laughter and resistance in the construction of identity. In On Laughing: Laughter in Interaction, ed. E. Holt and P. Glenn. Continuum.
- Clift, R. (2012) Identifying Action: laughter in non-humorous reported speech. Journal of Pragmatics, 44, 1303-1312
- Clift, R. (2012) Who knew?: A view from Linguistics. Research on Language and Social Interaction, 45, 1, 69-75
- Clift, R., and F. Helani (2010) Inshallah: Religious invocations in Arabic topic transition. Language in Society, 39, 3, 357-382.
- Chevalier, F.H.G and R. Clift (2008) Unfinished turns in French conversation: projectability, syntax and action. Journal of Pragmatics, 40, 8, 1731-52.
- Clift, R., P. Drew, and I. Hutchby (2007) Conversation Analysis. In J.-O. Östman and J. Verschueren (eds.) Handbook of Pragmatics. John Benjamins.
- Clift, R. and E. Holt (2007) Introduction. In E. Holt and R. Clift (eds.) Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction, pp.1-15. CUP.
- Clift, R. (2007) Getting there first: the nonnarrative use of reported speech in interaction. In E. Holt and R. Clift (eds.) Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction, pp 120-149. CUP.
- Clift, R. (2006) Indexing stance: Reported speech as an interactional evidential. Journal of Sociolinguistics, 10/5, 569-595.
- Clift, R., Drew, P. and Local, J. (2012) Why that, now?: Position and Composition in Interaction. Presentation to Philological Society symposium on Language, Music and Interaction, Queen Mary, University of London. November 2012
- Clift, R. (2011) No laughing matter: laughter in the reporting of non-humorous speech. Presentation to the 12th International Pragmatics Conference, Manchester, July 2011.
CA Research Group