08 March 2012: New translation, interpreting and subtitling courses launched
Train to become a professional translator, interpreter or audiovisual translator at a top ten university in the UK.
Building on our internationally-recognised expertise in English language and linguistics and the teaching of practical foreign language skills, the University of Essex is launching four new courses for 2012 entry.
The languages offered are English and Chinese (Mandarin) French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish.
Please visit http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/pg_taught/linguistics_programmes.aspx#translation to download course-specific leaflets (including Chinese versions).
Why are our courses unique?
- Gain translating, interpreting and subtitling skills and the ability to switch between them in a variety of situations
- Emphasis on practical, hands-on training
- Work with native speakers in developing your ability to move accurately and quickly between your chosen languages
- Written translation, oral interpreting and film and video subtitling in a single programme
- Learn under the same conditions as a professional using the latest industry-standard software
- Brand new translation, interpreting and subtitling facilities, including live conference translation in one of our lecture theatres
Funding and scholarships
We are offering five scholarships worth £1,000 each to support students studying either the PG Diploma or MA Chinese-English Translation and Interpreting courses. All applicants who apply for the PG Diploma or MA in Chinese-English Translation and Interpreting will automatically be considered for the scholarships. The scholarships will be awarded based on performance in previous qualifications and performance in the aptitude test (as part of the application process).
The deadline for applications to be considered for the scholarship is 27 April 2012.
Apply to study with us
Apply for postgraduate study at www.essex.ac.uk/pgapply where you will find our online application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact the relevant course director:
MA Translation, Interpreting and Subtitling and MA Translation and Literature
Tel: +44 1206 872239 (international)
Chinese-English Translation and Interpreting
Tel: +44 1206 872235 (international)
If your query relates to the application process, please contact our Graduate Admissions Office on:
Tel: +44 1206 872719 (international)
Last modified on 01 April 2009.