|Position in department||Chair of the Human Rights Centre
|Staff position||Emeritus Professor
|Office hours||Monday 11.30-12.30pm
or by appointment
Professor Sir Nigel Rodley KBE obtained an LLB from the University of Leeds in 1963, an LLM from Columbia University in 1965, an LLM from New York University in 1970 and a PhD from the University of Essex in 1992. He started as an Assistant Professor of Law at Dalhousie University, Canada. From 1973 to 1990, he was the Legal Adviser of Amnesty International and Visiting Lecturer in Law at the London School of Economics and Political Science (Research Fellow 1983). In 1990, he was appointed as Reader in Law at the University of Essex and Professor of Law in 1994. He was Dean of Law from 1992 to 1995. From 1993 to 2001 he served as Special Rapporteur on Torture of the UN Commission on Human Rights. Since 2001 he has been a Member of the UN Human Rights Committee, established under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (Chairperson 2013-2014). He is the current President of the International Commission of Jurists. In 1998 he was knighted in the Queen's New Year's Honours list for services to Human Rights and International Law and in 2000 he received an honorary LLD from Dalhousie University. He was a joint recipient of the American Society of International Law's 2005 Goler T. Butcher Medal for distinguished work in human rights. In 2008 he was appointed an Honorary Fellow of the Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians.
- Human Rights
- Public International Law
- The Routledge Handbook of International Human Rights Law (co-ed. with Scott Sheeran, 2013).
- The Treatment of Prisoners under International Law (3rd ed 2009, Oxford) (with Matt Pollard)
- Report of the Conference on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in Acute Crisis (co-ed.) (Department for International Development/ Human Rights Centre, University of Essex, 1998);
- International Responses to Traumatic Stress (co-ed.) (Baywood/UN, 1995);
- To Loose the Bands of Wickedness - International Intervention in Defence of Human Rights (ed.) (Brassey's, 1992);
- The Treatment of Prisoners under International Law (Clarendon Press/UNESCO, 1987; 2nd ed. 1999; 3rd ed 2009 with Matt Pollard)
- Enhancing Global Human Rights 1979 (co-author) (McGraw-Hill, 1979);
- International Law in the Western Hemisphere (Co-ed.) (Nijhoff, 1974).