Everything starts with language
Everything starts with language. It's fundamental to our thoughts, relationships and civilisations. At Essex, we investigate language and its relationships to the world.
We are one of the largest and most prestigious language and linguistics departments in the UK. You'll become part of an academic community that undertakes
world-leading research and be taught by lecturers
who are internationally renowned.
If you want a global outlook, are interested in human communication and want to study for an undergraduate or
postgraduate degree with real-world practical value in a world-class department, welcome home.
Why we are unique
- Modern languages top 10 for student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
- Top 10 in the UK for
research quality (REF 2014)
- Ranked among the top 150 departments on the planet (QS World Rankings 2016)
- Learn languages from complete beginner up to mastery level
- All languages are taught by native or bi-lingual teachers
- Only UK university offering interpreting, translation and subtitling
All our students can learn languages in a number of ways, including as part of your degree, in evening
classes or online at no extra cost, or via Essex Modern Language Certificates.
Our new interpreting training lab gives you the tools to become an expert in conference interpreting. We also have a
lab to interpret lectures of up to 350 people. These are the only labs of their kind in East Anglia.