Arriving and living in the UK

Working whilst studying in the UK – EEA/Swiss students

Most students from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland can work in the UK without restriction.

Bulgaria and Romania

From 1 January 2014 you can work freely in the UK and do not have to apply for worker authorisation.


Croatia joined the EU on 1 July 2013. If you want to work while studying in the UK then you must apply for worker authorisation before starting employment.

Essential reading and further guidance


Employability and Careers Centre

See the Job Opportunities section of our Employability and Careers Centre for information about income tax, National Insurance, employment rights, finding a job and more.