Working in the UK after your studies

It may be possible for you to stay on in the UK for practical training or work experience or for full-time employment depending on your circumstances.

Graduate schemes

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)

The Home Office states that the Tier 1 (GE) route is for “graduates whom UK Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and the Department for International Trade (DIT) identify as having developed genuine and credible business ideas and the entrepreneurial skills to go on to establish one or more businesses in the UK”.

An HEI can choose to participate in the scheme and will develop their own methods of assessing business ideas and entrepreneurial skills. Our Tier 1 (GE) scheme is administered by the Employability and Careers Centre and is open to Essex graduates only, spaces are limited.

Details of the 2017 scheme including, which Essex graduates are eligible and how and when they can apply will be published here as soon as it is known and by August 2017.

As well as identifying graduates with genuine and credible business ideas, all applicants to the Essex scheme must also be able to demonstrate that they are able to meet all the Home Office requirements to make a successful Tier 1 (GE) application in order to gain our endorsement.

It is possible to make a Tier 1 (GE) application inside the UK provided you hold a valid visa. We are not able to guarantee to issue endorsements before your current visa expires and therefore, it may be necessary for those we agree to endorse to make the application in their home country overseas.

Essential reading

Those graduates identified and offered endorsement will be able to seek advice as necessary from our International Services Team advisers.

Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme)

This scheme came into force from 6 April 2013. It is designed to give Tier 4 students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification, an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission to remain in the UK. Our University is participating in this scheme so, if you haven’t yet completed your University of Essex PhD and have a valid Tier 4 (General) visa, read the details in our applying for a visa section to find out more.

Other schemes

If you have an employer who is prepared to sponsor you, you may be able to remain in the UK to work under Tier 2. We recommend reading the UKCISA guidance and the Home Office website for more information. If you require advice you can contact an immigration lawyer.

Employability and Careers Centre

Visit Employability and careers for friendly, professional support and one-to-one advice for students and Essex graduates.

Please note: The University’s immigration advisers are not able to offer advice regarding work categories of the Immigration Rules, please see our website for details of alternative immigration advice services.