Applying for a visa
Applying for Tier 4 (General) – from overseas
The University of Essex is a Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) for Tier 4 (General).
If you need to come to the UK as a Tier 4 student to pursue your course, you must make your entry clearance (visa) application before you travel to the UK.
If you are in the UK please read our information on applying for Tier 4 (General) from within the UK.
Before making an application overseas
- Make sure you are eligible and meet ALL the requirements - read the essential information and guidance from UKCISA
and the Home Office.
- Make sure you can receive your visa in time, check the Home Office visa processing times.
- If you are under 18 when you apply you must meet additional requirements and supply additional evidence, we are not licensed as a Tier 4 (Child) sponsor.
- Your dependants - if you have family that you would like to bring with you to the UK check they are eligible to apply.
Where and when can I apply?
- You can apply in the country where you normally live, up to three months before your course start date. It can take some time to obtain your visa so apply as soon as you are able.
- You can only apply if you have a valid CAS.
- It is recommended that you only book your flight after you have received your passport and visa.
- Check your entry clearance sticker to make sure all the information and conditions are correct, if there is an error contact the Entry Clearance Post and ask for it to be
amended. See UKCISA guidance for details of what conditions you should expect to receive.
How do I apply?
- You must submit your completed immigration application to your nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate (or the local visa application centre).
- For details of your nearest application centre and how to apply, see the Home Office's information about where to apply and select your
- Read the VAF9 guidance and the guidance on supporting documents published by the Home Office.
- Complete application form VAF9 and VAF9 Appendix 8.
- Read the UKCISA guidance Making a Tier 4 (General) Application.