Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

A CAS is an electronic document created by your Tier 4 sponsor using the Home Office Sponsored Management System (SMS). It is not a paper document and is:

  • valid for six months or until it is used, withdrawn or made obsolete; and
  • can only be used to make one Tier 4 application.

How can I obtain a University of Essex CAS?

Starting a new course

Our Admissions team is responsible for issuing CAS's to eligible applicants, this includes current Essex students who are starting a new course with us.

  • When will you issue my CAS?

    We will issue your CAS up to three months before your course start date provided we have confirmed your place at the University and assessed you as eligible in line with the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance in force at the time. Therefore, for students starting at the beginning of October we will start issuing CAS to eligible students from the beginning of July. In order to confirm your place you must accept our offer officially and meet all outstanding academic and, where relevant, English language conditions.

  • How will I receive it?

    Once we have issued your CAS you will receive a statement that sets out all the information we have provided to the Home Office.

    If you are a postgraduate applicant, your statement will be available to view in your myEssex applicant portal.

    All other applicants will receive their statement by email.

  • Will I have to pay a deposit?

    If you are a self-funded postgraduate student or you are joining a foundation course delivered by our Essex Pathways Department, you will normally be asked to pay a tuition deposit of one-third of your first year’s tuition fees before we issue your CAS. There is more information in our Tuition Fee Deposit Policy (.pdf).

    If you are coming to study a pre-sessional programme or an English language course you are normally asked to pay a £250 deposit.

  • Pre-sessional English courses

    Our Essex Pathways Department offer a range of pre-sessional English courses and you may choose to take one in order to meet an outstanding language condition. Where this is the case, we can only issue a CAS for your pre-sessional English course. Once you have completed this successfully we will issue another CAS to cover your degree course and you will have to apply for a new Tier 4 visa to cover this period of study. You can normally apply for an extension to your Tier 4 visa from within the UK.

    If you have an unconditional offer to study your degree course and would also like to study a pre-sessional English course before it starts, you may be eligible for a linked CAS that will cover both courses. Please read the information from our Essex Pathways Department about our Essex Academic Skills Programme (EASP). We provide further information about the Home Office English Language requirements.

  • I am a Study Abroad student, can I get a CAS?

    If you are a studying with us for more than six months you should be eligible and your CAS would be issued by our Admissions team. However, our Essex Abroad office will deal with your initial request.

    If you will spend up to six months studying with us you may be eligible to apply for entry as a Short-term student.

    Contact Essex Abroad by emailing

  • I will be studying an English Language Programme, can I get a CAS?

    It will depend on the level and length of your course and evidence of your English language ability. Further information can be provided by our Essex Pathways Department.

    If you are eligible, your CAS will be issued by Admissions, though our Essex Pathways Department will deal with your initial request. If you are not eligible for a CAS you may be able to apply for entry as a Short-term student.

    Contact our Essex Pathways Department by emailing

  • Who do I contact about my CAS?

    If you have any questions about your CAS or you have a CAS that needs amending, contact our Admissions team by emailing Please include your UCAS or PG application number.

Continuing the same course

Our International Services Team are responsible for issuing CAS's to all current, eligible students who are continuing to study the same course with us.

  • When and how can I request my CAS?

    We recommend you request your CAS at least four months before your current visa is due to expire as it can take some time to gather all required evidence, especially evidence of available funds.

    To request a CAS, please email our International Services Team:

  • How long will it take for you to send me my CAS?

    Your CAS request will be assessed and, if you are eligible, will be issued to you. We aim to issue your CAS within five working days and will send your CAS statement to your @essex email address.

    Please note that at certain times of the year it may take longer to process a request and we may have to prioritise applications.

  • I am returning from intermission/to resit exam(s), how do I request a CAS?

    You will be able to request a CAS up to four months before you are due to restart your course. We recommend you apply between three and four months before you are due to return to your studies as it can take some time for an entry clearance post to process your visa application. You can submit your request by emailing the International Services Team:

    If you are coming back to resit an exam, and after that your course will have finished, you will not be eligible and should apply for entry clearance as a Short-term student.

  • I would like to apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme. how do I request a CAS?

    This scheme is for students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification and gives an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission to remain in the UK. Please be aware that you cannot apply for DES if your award has already been conferred.

    If you haven't yet completed your PhD with us and are interested in applying to remain in the UK under this scheme, please read our information on how and when to apply for DES permission.

  • Who do I contact about my CAS?

    Please email our International Services Team if you:

    • have any questions about your CAS
    • have a CAS that needs amending
    • need to request a CAS

Payments to our University for tuition fees and accommodation

If you have made payments to our University towards your tuition fees and/or University accommodation this should be recorded on your CAS and show on your CAS statement.

If you make payments after we have issued your CAS, or you think the amount shown is incorrect, you can request that your CAS is updated by contacting the team that issued it.

All the tuition fees you have paid for the academic year, as stated on your CAS, can be deducted from the total amount you must have available to you for tuition fees. It may be possible for you to deduct some of the fees paid to us for your University accommodation from the amount you must have available to you for maintenance. Please read the Tier 4 rules and guidance and our applying for a visa section for more information about the Tier 4 financial requirements.

Please check that you have the correct level of available funds and the evidence to prove it, this is the most common reason for an application to be refused by the Home Office.

General information

As a Tier 4 sponsor we are only able to issue a CAS if you and your course meet all the Home Office requirements and you are required to be in attendance. By using our CAS you will have many responsibilities both to us and to the UK Government. Please ensure you are aware of what your responsibilities are by reading our information and guidance and keeping up to date with changes to the immigration rules.

The CAS number you state on your Tier 4 application will be the one used by the Home Office. If you have been issued with more than one CAS number, all other CAS's will be cancelled (made obsolete) by the Home Office when you make your Tier 4 application.

If you have had a Tier 4 visa application rejected or refused and think you need another CAS, you should seek advice if necessary. If you or your course do not meet the requirements to be issued with a CAS you may be able to apply for Entry Clearance as a Short-term student.

In line with our duties as a Tier 4 sponsor, we reserve the right to withdraw or refuse to issue a CAS.