Prospective Students - Continuing Professional
Health Care Practice
PG Certificate/PG Diploma/MSc
The MSc Health Care Practice is designed for health care professionals in
primary, secondary and tertiary settings who wish to advance their knowledge
base and clinical skills. Students, irrespective of their clinical speciality,
will become actively involved in the advancement of practice which will be
recognised within the degree award.
Health care practice is an evolving process in which new skills are
continuously being developed and refined in response to the needs of clients.
The NHS Plan seeks to challenge traditional role boundaries and recognises that
professionals of all clinical disciplines have the potential to develop advanced
clinical skills to support the client from referral to discharge.
The programme is a modularised pathway and students can choose to study
part-time between 2 and 5 years. Teaching contributions are drawn from expertise across the University’s academic departments and many modules are supported by Moodle.
The programme is outlined
For further information on the start dates for the modules, please go to
Please click here for
module directory where you will find further information about specific modules.
At the end of the programme, successful students will be able to:
- Assess physical and psychosocial states and make independent diagnoses in relation to specific episodes of care
- Pioneer new roles which are responsive to changing health needs
- Act in a consultancy and leadership role for other team members and other professionals in the development of their practice
- Demonstrate expert judgement in the assessment and management of specific client groups
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of factors that influence service provision and use innovative problem solving skills to effect best use of resources
- A relevant professional qualification and current registration with the relevant UK professional body
- A minimum of 1 year post-registration experience
- A good first degree in a relevant subject OR Relevant professional experience and qualifications that demonstrate ability to study at Level 7
- Currently employed in a relevant field of practice
- For non-native speakers of English an IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 580/240
In the first instance prospective students are encouraged to contact the programme leader to discuss their proposed pathway and study plan.
Tuitions fees for these modules and programmes can be
funded in a variety of ways:
- Payment by a Charitable Trust
If you are employed
through an NHS organisation within the East of England, we
currently have an annual contract with the Midlands and East of England
NHS. As part of this contract
they support staff development through educational courses
and programmes of study.
If you hoping to receive assistance with funding and are
employed in this way, please check with your employer to see
if funding is available before accepting a place on the
Details of the fees can be found here.
For further information, please contact
School of Health and Human Sciences
University of Essex
T 01206 872854/873375
E cpd (non-Essex users should add @essex.ac.uk)