Prospective Students - Continuing Professional
Postgraduate Qualifications for Health and Social Care Managers
MSc in Health Care Management
Postgraduate Diploma in Health Care Management
Postgraduate Certificate in Health Care Management
Health care managers and clinicians work in a continuously changing and challenging environment in which they interact with a wide range of health and social care professionals, public and private sector agencies, voluntary services, and the general public. The School offers a range of postgraduate (level 7) learning pathways which are designed to enable managers and professionals working across a wide range of health and social care sectors to enhance their management skills and build their knowledge base through practice based interprofessional learning and research.
This programme is a modularised pathway and students can choose to study part-time between 2 and 5 years.
Teaching contributions are drawn from expertise across the University’s academic
departments and many modules are supported by Moodle. The programme is outlined
For further information on the start dates for the modules, please go to
Please click here for
module directory where you will find further information about specific modules.
- To provide students with a systematic and critical understanding of the key
concepts underlying strategic and operational health service management and
- To provide students with skills to access and critically
appraise competing theoretical perspectives as a basis to develop their own
- To furnish students with the opportunity to reflect
upon the processes of policy making, planning and delivering of services.
endow students with an understanding of the essential principles of research
- To provide students with the opportunity to conduct an independent
research project leading to the completion of a research dissertation.
- To ensure
students acquire a range of transferable employment related skills.
- A relevant professional qualification and current registration with the relevant UK professional body
- A good first degree in a relevant subject OR Relevant professional experience and qualifications that demonstrate ability to study at M level
- Currently employed in a relevant field of practice
- For non-native speakers of English an IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 580/240
In the first instance prospective students are encouraged to contact the programme leader to discuss their proposed pathway and study plan.
Tuitions fees for these modules and programmes can be
funded in a variety of ways:
- Payment by a Charitable Trust
If you are employed
through an NHS organisation within the East of England, we
currently have an annual contract with the Midlands and East of England
NHS. As part of this contract
they support staff development through educational courses
and programmes of study.
If you hoping to receive assistance with funding and are
employed in this way, please check with your employer to see
if funding is available before accepting a place on the
Details of the fees can be found here.
For further information, please contact
School of Health and Human Sciences
University of Essex
T 01206 872854/873375
E cpd (non-Essex users should add @essex.ac.uk)