Working and studying safely
Keep up to date with the latest health and safety news. We produce regular health and safety bulletins and
organise special events to keep you informed.
Health and safety is part of everything we do. Doing things safely
will help you to achieve your work, study and research goals.
Our philosophy is that, whilst we work within legal boundaries, a safe and
healthy workplace is best achieved by developing risk awareness and allowing
people to make informed decisions. We all need to take responsibility for
finding out how to do things safely. Our website contains practical advice to
help you work, study and play safely whilst on our campuses.
If you're new to the University, watch our video: An introduction to Health and Safety at
the University of Essex.
Find out about
- Fire safety and common health and safety risks at the
- Your responsibilities and what you need to do.
- Details of our range of health and safety and fire courses and events.
- Contact details of people who can help you.
- How to report an accident, hazard or health and safety concern.
It's important everyone carries out their health and safety responsibilities and meets the standards related to their work. Find out about our
Reporting an incident
Health and safety incidents involving staff, students, tenants, contractors or visitors on University premises or during field trips must