Let’s have a huge party! 12-14 September 2014
In 1964, 122 students arrived at a new university which, quite frankly, would still have looked a little like a building site! But those students had come to a university built upon a very
bold vision where they would be asked to challenge the status quo and to think on a global scale.
Fifty years on and a lot has happened - from research that changed the world, to revolutionary student protests. We’ve got bigger and we’ve got better.
We are enormously proud to have helped over 70,000 students graduate and we want to say a big thank you and to invite you back for a massive celebration!
Reconnect with friends, fellow alumni and your lecturers - you can even stay in William Morris Tower or South Courts!
Here's what's happening
Friday 12 September – warm up with…
- Nostalgia music night in Sub Zero
- Your Essex – architectural and social history exhibition in the Hex (invitation only)
Saturday 13 September – the main event…
- Music, magic and more – lots to entertain you (beware audience participation!)
- Zorb football, zumba, climbing wall, interactive campus trails and glow in the dark comps
- Tug of war – 80s v 90s, noughties v now, grab your team and play for victory
- Family friendly film screenings with a 1964 twist. Any requests?
- Revisit your old haunts and see what’s changed – campus tours by those in the know
- Meet old friends at your department’s reunion lunch
- All your favourite catering outlets open plus BBQs in the Squares, ice cream and cooking demos
- Your Essex – memory map exhibition in the Hex.
memories and photos. – so send us yours!. Open throughout the weekend
- Family friendly activities including adventure trails, street theatre, futuristic
robotics displays, art activities and face painting. plus test your mind and body
at our brain and sport science stands
- Bite-sized lectures on everything from sexual attraction, tattoos and terrorism, to Johnny Depp’s glasses, conquering Everest and happy cows
- A magical presentation from Professor Todd Landman
Saturday 13 September – after dark…
- Formal dinners for those that grew up…
- Tribute bands from the decades in Sub Zero
- Nocturnal fun in the Squares
Sunday 14 September – wind down with…
- Lazy breakfast for overnighters
- For anyone with energy left - rounders, basketball and frisbee golf
- Laid back live music
- BBQ lunch