Are you an Essex graduate and Home/EU student with excellent academic
background? You could be eligible for our Silberrad Scholarships, worth £9,600
in 2016-17 and awarded for the duration of your PhD (subject to satisfactory
The scholarship will pay your tuition fees and a bursary towards living costs.
Two scholarships are available for 2016-17 entrants.
The Silberrad Scholarships are funded by a legacy from the Silberrad estate,
bequeathed to Essex in 2007.
You can apply for this scholarship if you meet all of the following
- hold a degree from the University of Essex (undergraduate and/or Masters), or are in the final term of completing a degree
- are classified as a Home or EU student for fee purposes
- have an offer of admission (conditional or unconditional) for full-time PhD study starting in October 2016 (Professional Doctorates are excluded)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you
received, see our terms and conditions
for previous years.
How to apply
If you've applied for an Essex ESRC DTC studentship starting in 2016-17 or the
University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship, you'll automatically be
considered for the Silberrad Scholarship (if appropriate) and you don't need to complete
a separate application form. However, you're advised to read the terms and conditions of
this award. Silberrad scholarships don't cover ESRC 1+3 applications, but you'll be considered
for an Integrated PhD if there is one appropriate for your studies. All other applicants must
complete the online application form. Please note, applications for 2016-17 are now closed.
All other applicants must:
After you apply
Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on:
- academic ability - based on previous academic qualifications,
normally a first or high 2.1 Bachelors degree and/or a Masters
degree with distinction or merit
- research potential - based on the candidate's research proposal
submitted with their application, as well as their statement on the
scholarship application form
If your application has been successful then you'll be notified by the end of April 2016
by our Funding team.