University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarships
Applications for this award have now closed for
2015-16. Details of awards being offered for 2016-17 will be added
in due course.
Our University of Essex Mathematical Sciences Doctoral Scholarship supports
talented PhD students to study in our Department of Mathematical
If you have an excellent academic background, the potential for future
achievement and financial need, you could be eligible. Once awarded, you'll
receive the scholarship in each year of your PhD (subject to satsifactory
progression). The scholarship includes:
- a fee discount of up to £4,000 per year
- living costs of up to £12,000 per year (comprising a stipend of £8,000 per
year and a Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantship worth £4,000 in
years two and three)
- a training bursary of £250 per year
- Proficio points,
which can be used to 'buy' advanced skills training
You can apply for this scholarship if you have been offered a place at
Essex for a
full-time PhD, starting in 2015-16.
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you
received, see our terms and conditions
for previous years.
How to apply
Applications for 2015-16 are now closed.
After you apply
Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on:
- academic ability - based on previous academic qualifications,
normally a Master's degree with distinction or merit
- research potential - based on the candidate's research proposal
submitted with their application, as well as their statement on the
scholarship application form
- professional development potential - based on the candidate's
skills, aptitudes and potential to support their department's
undergraduate teaching or research activities
- financial need - based on evidence provided on the scholarship
If your application has been successful then you'll be notified shortly
after the closing date by our Funding team.