Assessing the impact of our policies on equality
We carry out regular assessments of our policies to make sure that they are neither directly nor indirectly discriminatory and to identify how they do, or could, advance equality and foster good relations between different groups of people.
Heads of the department or section which ‘owns’ each policy should carry out an Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) (.docx) on any new policies they introduce, and on existing policies every 3-5 years. The EIA is designed to identify any positive or negative effect on particular groups of people. There is guidance on how to carry out the assessment (.docx). If you need further help, contact diversity (add ‘@essex.ac.uk’).
The Equality Impact Review (EIR) Panel assesses any policy that needs more detailed analysis. They report their findings and recommendations to the Equality and Diversity Committee using an Equality Impact Review (EIR) form (.doc). There is also guidance on conducting an EIR (PDF).
In addition, all papers considered by the University’s Council must include a completed cover sheet which asks the author of the paper to comment on what assessment of the impact on equality and diversity has been conducted.
We have carried out EIAs on the following policies:
- Adverse Weather policy (.docx)
- Annual Review of Academic and Research Staff Procedures (.docx) We have also carried out a full Equality Impact Review of these procedures.
- Equality Policy and Strategy 2011-14 (.docx)
- Policy for the protection of under 18s and vulnerable adults (.docx)
- Grievance Resolution Procedure (Support Staff Grades 1-6) (.docx)
- University Residence No Smoking Policy (.docx)
- Disciplinary Procedure (Support Staff Grades 1-6) (.docx)
- CCTV Policy (.docx)
- Security Policy (.docx)
- Access Agreement 2012 (.docx)
- Cadenza: University of Essex CPD Framework (.docx)
- Widening Participation Strategic Statement (.docx)
- Conducting Formal Investigations (.docx)
- Collective Agreement (.docx)
- Capability/Performance Procedure (Support Staff Grades 1-6) (.docx)
- Temporary Restriction on Student Parking (.docx)
- Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy (.docx)
- Student Support Confidentiality Policy (.doc)
- Student Support Mental Health Crisis Intervention Policy (.doc)
- Binless offices (.docx)
- Sickness Absence Management - Policy and Procedure (.docx)
- Access Agreement 2014-15 (.docx)
Before 2011, the University conducted EIAs on 'areas of operation'. Follow the links below to read the assessments and progress reports
- Impact Assessment on GTA/Demonstrator Recruitment and conditions of service
- Impact Assessment on Recruitment and Selection of Staff
- Impact Assessment on Admission of Students
- Impact Assessment on Student Disciplinary Regulations (.pdf)
- Impact Assessment on the Progress and Retention of Undergraduate Students (.doc)