Plant Environmental Physiology Group (PEPG) Techniques Workshop
12 - 16 September 2016, Lisbon, Portugal
Registration is now CLOSED
The PEPG (a special interest group of the Society for Experimental Biology and the British Ecological Society) will
provide a unique opportunity for MSc, PhD students and early career researchers to gain hands-on experience
and training in plant ecophysiology techniques from leading scientists and manufacturers.
The intensive five day long workshop will include demonstrations of key field and lab techniques:
- leaf-level processes including photosynthetic gas exchange, chlorophyll fluorescence (imaging), water status and hydraulic conductance
- canopy processes including stable isotopes, monitoring canopy development/Leaf Area Index, IR thermography and soil water/nutrient status
- theory and practice of long-term monitoring under field conditions, including micrometeorology, eddy covariance, and remote sensing methodologies
This comprehensive workshop provides an unrivalled opportunity for manufacturers to introduce their latest equipment and give hands-on training.
The successful format includes a daily programme of lectures introducing the theory of techniques, with a demonstration of the equipment,
followed by hands on sessions for participants to collect data. Evening sessions allow group discussions of techniques and data analysis, as
well as a research poster session.
Internationally renowned scientists will explain and demonstrate key techniques:
- Prof. Susanne von Caemmerer (ANU, Australia)
- Prof. Steve Long FRS (Illinois, USA)
- Dr. Bernard Genty (CNRS, France)
- Prof. Xinguang Zhu (PICB, China)
- Prof. Howard Griffiths (Cambridge, UK)
- Prof. Lawren Sack (UCLA, USA)
- Prof. Carl Bernacchi (Illinois, USA)
- Prof. Kathy Steppe (Gent, Belgium)
- Dr. Andrew Leakey (Illinois, USA)
- Dr. Wanne Kromdijk (Illinois, USA)
- Dr. Craig Yendrek (Illinois, USA)
- Dr. Colin Campbell (Decagon Instruments, USA)
- Dr. Steven Garrity (Decagon Instruments, USA)
- Dr. Katie Field (Sheffield, UK)
- Dr. Gary Lanigan (Teagasc, Ireland)
- Dr. Saoirse Tracy (UC Dublin, Ireland)
- Dr. Olga Grant (UC Dublin, Ireland)
- Dr. Jochem Evers (Wageningen, NL)
- Dr. Erik Murchie (Nottingham, UK)
- Dr. Tracy Lawson (Essex, UK)
- Dr. Steven Driever (Wageningen, NL)
- Dr. Richard Webster (Aberystwyth, UK)
- Dr. Colin Osborne (Sheffield, UK)
- Dr. Matthew Davey (Cambridge, UK)
Internationally renowned manufacturers will demonstrate their state-of-the-art equipment (in alphabetical order):
For more information, please click on the drop down boxes below.
Registration is now closed
Please note the programme can be subject to change.
The workshop will take place at the Quinta de Säo Pedro Study Centre (www.quintasaopedro.pt)
located 10km south of Lisbon on the Setúbal peninsula.
We intend to hire a minibus to shuttle speakers and participants to and from Lisbon airport where possible. You
will therefore need to provide us with your flight details well in advance.
We will provide this shuttle service between 9am-7pm on Sunday 11th September, so please book flights that
have an arrival time within this timeframe. If you are having difficulty organising a flight for this time,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so we may discuss options.
On site accommodation
If you book accommodation through the workshop at registration, please take note that this is ALL in the 16 berth
shared dormitories (m/f separate) on-site and will cost £150 for the six night stay from Sunday 11th to the morning
of Saturday 17th (regardless of the price on the accommodation’s website - the workshop accommodation costs
include breakfast etc).
Off site accommodation
If you do not want to book accommodation on-site, but still require accommodation you will need to book into a local
hotel or hostel. Please do not contact the workshop’s accommodation (Quinta de Sao Pedro Study Centre) directly for
accommodation information, as they will not be able to help you.
A daily shuttle bus will be used to transport participants from and to Costa da Caparica (at the
beachfront at Av. 1o de Maio) and the study centre (10 min drive). Please note this when booking your off site
accommodation if you want to use this shuttle bus.
Some hotels frequented during the last workshop:
- Registration deadline: 1 May 2016 (Early bird), 1 June 2016 (Final deadline)
- Arrival day: Sunday 11 September 2016
- Workshop start date: Monday 12 September 2016
- Workshop end date: Friday 16 September 2016
- Departure day: Saturday 17 September 2016
This workshop is supported by the British Ecological Society (www.britishecologicalsociety.org)
and the Society for Experimental Biology (www.sebiology.org) and our generous sponsors:
- UK Plant Phenotyping Network
- ADC Bioscientific
- Campbell Scientific
- Decagon Instruments
- Delta-T Devices
- Ocean Optics
- PP Systems
- Federation of European Societies of Plant Biology
For information regarding registration please contact Dr Tracy Lawson email@example.com.
For further information please contact Dr Steven Driever firstname.lastname@example.org