 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Nigeria:
Soldiers Massacre Civilians in Revenge Attack in Benue State |
 |
Human Rights Watch
October 25, 2001
New York. Human Rights Watch today condemned
the massacre of more than 100 civilians by Nigerian soldiers in
several villages in Benue State, apparently carried out as revenge
for the killing of 19 soldiers earlier this month.Human Rights
Watch urged President Olusegun Obasanjo to set up an independent
investigation into the military operation in Benue since October
22 and to bring to justice those found responsible.
“The security forces have a duty to protect, not to attack, the
population,” said Peter Takirambudde, Executive Director of the
Africa Division of Human Rights Watch. “The murder of the 19
soldiers should certainly be condemned, but their deaths do not
justify the slaughter of civilians by the Nigerian army.”
Militia of the Tiv ethnic group are believed to have been
responsible for the abduction and murder of 19 soldiers, whose
mutilated bodies were found in the village of Zaki-Biam on October
12. According to official statements, the soldiers had been
deployed to the area to restore law and order following clashes
between the Tiv and Jukun ethnic groups. Benue and neighboring
Taraba states, in central Nigeria, have been the scene of
longstanding disputes between these two groups, which erupted
again in recent weeks.
According to information received from local sources, including
Nigerian human rights groups, the military operation began on
Monday, October 22, when soldiers from the 23rd armored brigade of
the 3rd armored division of the Nigerian army rounded up residents
in Gbeji village for a “meeting,” made them sit on the ground,
separated the men from the others, and then opened fire upon the
men indiscriminately. Witnesses reported that some of the victims’
bodies were then set ablaze. Further killings took place as
soldiers invaded the villages of Vasae, Anyiin Iorja, Ugba,
Sankera and Zaki-Biam, all located in the two local government
areas of Logo and Zaki-Biam. In the following two days, there was
widespread destruction of property and buildings in these
villages, after terrified residents had abandoned their homes.
While the total number of victims has not yet been established,
survivors and eyewitnesses have reported that at least 100 and
possibly more than 200 people died at the hands of the soldiers.
Thousands of people have been displaced or have fled into the bush
for safety.
The situation in the area remains extremely tense. There is
still a heavy military presence and the troops who carried out the
operation have reportedly not been withdrawn. A dusk to dawn
curfew has been imposed. On October 24 and 25 further violence
broke out, including around the university in the state capital
Makurdi, where students and others staged protests at the army’s
actions. Vehicles and tires were set ablaze. There were reports of
further deaths and injuries.
The killing of the 19 soldiers was energetically condemned by
the Nigerian federal government. At their state funeral on October
22, President Olusegun Obasanjo publicly urged the security forces
to spare no effort in tracking down those responsible.
The situation in Benue was reminiscent of a sequence of events
in the town of
Odi, in Bayelsa state in southern Nigeria, in November 1999,
when soldiers seeking to avenge the murder of 12 policemen by
local armed groups razed the entire town and killed scores of
civilians.
“Tragically, the lessons of Odi have not been learned,” said
Takirambudde. “After the discovery of the soldiers’ bodies, the
Nigerian authorities could easily have predicted that anger in the
military would lead to revenge. Everyone was talking about the
likelihood of retaliation, yet no steps appear to have been taken
to prevent the military from retaliating.”
No member of the armed forces is known to have been prosecuted
for the events in Odi. Human Rights Watch urged that the
government’s response to events in Benue must not be characterized
by the same negligence.
“President Obasanjo must accept responsibility for the actions
of the Nigerian army and put an end to the impunity which protects
the Nigerian armed forces,” said Takirambudde.
Human Rights Watch also warned that these latest events would
aggravate an already tense situation in Benue and neighboring
states in central Nigeria which have been the scene of repeated
inter-communal violence in the last few months. Hundreds of people
have lost their lives in clashes between different ethnic groups
in Benue, Nasarawa, Taraba and Plateau States and tens of
thousands have been displaced.
“The Nigerian Government has a responsibility to tackle the
roots of these problems and restore peace in the area,” said
Takirambudde. “It cannot just stand by and watch, or intervene
only when members of its own security forces are affected.”
story url
|
 |