You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Liberia’s child fighters await endgame |
 |
The Times
Alphonso Toweh
July 27, 2003
ALTHOUGH he is only 14 years old, Ernest Kollie has been fighting in
Liberia
’s civil war for three years. His determination to kill his enemies
has won him promotion and he now has six other fighters under his
command.
“The rebels killed my father. Maybe they killed my mother too,” said
Kollie last week, as he ordered one of his bodyguards, aged 13, to
fetch his machinegun from a vehicle parked at a petrol station in
Monrovia, the capital. “So, when the government soldiers came, I had
to be with them.
“I am only fighting
because I want revenge. I know I am still small and I want to go to
school. All we really want is for peacekeepers to come here to end
this war.”
Known by his nom de guerre of Sugar Water, Kollie was wearing a
woman’s wig. Such wigs are commonplace among fighters of all ages on
both sides of the war. They are meant to conceal identities and are
sometimes used to cover up magic charms on the head, which are
believed to make the wearer bulletproof or even invisible.
Kollie is not the only soldier in
Liberia
who is desperate to see
outsiders step in to end fighting in which more than 1,000 people
have died in recent weeks as the rebels have tried to topple
President Charles Taylor’s regime.
Annie Toagbey, 16, one of many teenage girls who are fighting, is
also eager to greet the peacekeepers. “Look at this mess,” she said
as she stood guard at a checkpoint. “We are just here every day
fighting. I have not seen my son for three months now.”
The arrival of
peacekeepers appeared to come closer this weekend.
After dithering for weeks over whether to send troops,
representatives of west African states are due to meet in
Ghana
tomorrow to finalise details of an operation involving two
battalions of Nigerian soldiers.
President George W Bush has ordered American troops to take up
positions off the coast, but no date for their arrival has been set
and officials said the warships carrying them were still seven to 10
days’ sailing time away.
Kofi Annan, the United Nations secretary-general, has said he hopes
the American troops will play a leading role in a multinational
peacekeeping force. Scott McClellan, the White House spokesman, has
nevertheless been vague about
Washington
’s
intentions. “We will continue to assess what the
US
role is in supporting
(west African peacekeepers),” he said.
Such reticence has
provoked growing anti-Americanism among Liberians who claim Bush has
a duty to help a country founded in the name of liberty by freed US
slaves more than 150 years ago.
“If
America
says this war will stop, it will stop,” said Joseph Toe, who was
among an angry crowd gathering last week outside the
US
embassy. “We are dying every day. We want them to come to help us.”
The carnage continued
unabated yesterday despite a fresh truce called by rebel commanders
who said they had told their men to fight only to defend themselves
and their positions.
A
church crowded with refugees near
Monrovia
’s port was hit, killing
at least seven civilians and wounding over 30.
Witnesses said five shells slammed into the ground around the
Greater Refuge Temple, perched on a hill overlooking the rebel-held
port.
A
sixth hit the church directly, exploding at
4am
among refugees who had bedded down for the night.
Rebels have so far striven in vain to take
Monrovia
and
drive out Taylor, a former warlord blamed for 14 years of near-
continuous conflict. Fighting has focused on the port and three
bridges leading to the centre of town, one of
Taylor
’s last strongholds.
The
two sides have accused each other of repeated shelling into densely
populated civilian neighbourhoods. Last Friday shells pounded an
area around the American embassy, hitting homes and a school filled
with refugees. That attack killed at least 26 and wounded more than
200.
|